kjesso

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    kjesso
    Participant

Stuart Maconie (BBC6) has picked The Tower as one of the albums of the year. Listen to his impressions, including an interview with the band (starting around 45:00) here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09h7vgl

in reply to: Cross References #31738
      kjesso
      Participant

And the leader of Mountain was called Leslie West, of course. Motorpsycho played "Leslie's Vest" a couple of times in 2011 – didn't that song turn into On A Plate?

in reply to: Cross References #31737
        kjesso
        Participant

Six years ago, on a thread about something completely different, I wrote this:

In a program on Norwegian radio back in the mid-90s, Norwegian radio legend Harald Are Lund talked about the music that had influenced Motorpsycho. He mentioned the band Mountain, and said that the MP song "Mountain" was inspired by a song by Mountain. He played that song, and you could hear his point. The two songs were not identical, far from it, but there were some similarities.

A few years later, on an impulse in a record shop, I bought a Mountain collection, Over The Top. I managed to get through the 34 songs a couple of times, but couldn't figure out if any of these songs had influenced "Mountain". I haven't listened to it since, my main recollection is that even if the music was ok, the vocals were just horrible. Almost painful.

Wanting to get the bottom of said riddle, I e-mailed Harald Are Lund, to find out more. He replied that he remembered the program, and that there indeed was one Mountain song that had inspired "Mountain", but he couldn't recall what the song was called. So there you are – a mystery unsolved.

To which TraktorBass replied:

I only have Mountains album Twin Peaks here, but could it be 'Never in my life'? There is also a track named 'Theme for an imaginary western' on the album..

– –

And if I remember correctly, I agreed with the mighty Traktor, and found similarities between the two songs.

in reply to: Jaga Jazzist – Royal Festival Hall, London, 2017.11.19 #31704
          kjesso
          Participant

Punj Lizard -> just use a ¤ instead of @. Most of us here are bright enough to know what to do.

And enjoy the Jaga concert. They are a marvellous, marvellous band.

in reply to: Favourite Show Fall Tour 2017 #31669
            kjesso
            Participant

I saw two shows – Bergen and Bergen. So I guess Bergen is my favourite. The second one.

in reply to: The Tower #30574
              kjesso
              Participant

Review from Mojo. As usual, they appreciate what they hear:

Motorpsycho: The Tower (4/5)

Norwegian proggers' 19th LP feels like the first time.

These Norwegian sonic voyagers' almost-three-decade journey to the outer reaches continues, their focus barely shaken by the exit of long-serving drummer Kenneth Kapstad, replaced by Tomas Järmyr, who stalwarts Brent [!] Sæther and Hans Ryan credit with The Tower's heavier crunch. Certainly, Bartok Of The Universe's steel-armoured riffage and half-inched CSN harmonies conjures a beast that could slay latter-day Mastodon, but this double-set is no one-note riff-blitz: The Maypole eschews the trad-folk suggestion of the title for trippy, sun-soaked delirium; In Every Dream Home is a polymorphous treat liberally drizzled with Yes-juice; while the excursive Intrepid Explorer is exhilarating, a reminder of just how much fun prog can be, in the right hands. The Tower's refreshing absence of cynicism, boundless joy, never self-indulgent instrumental excursions and ample cosmic thrills make listeners feel like wide-eyed 11-year olds dropping the needle on their very first proggy expedition.

Review by Stevie Chick

in reply to: Poll: How many shows have you attended? #31329
                kjesso
                Participant

Somewhere between 40 and 45; first one in March 1992.

in reply to: 2017-10-22 Bremen, Schlachthof #31029
                  kjesso
                  Participant

Pfnuesel: First Golden Core since Trondheim, December 2015.

in reply to: Hello! New member #30864
                    kjesso
                    Participant

Seeing that you're not too fond of DVDs, it's no wonder you haven't found RW3 – it's on the Haircuts DVD from 2008.

Welcome, by the way.

in reply to: 2017-09-27 Landmark, Bergen #30841
                      kjesso
                      Participant

Oh dear – I seem to have blogged a little bit about the two Bergen shows. (Norwegian only.)

in reply to: 2017-09-27 Landmark, Bergen #30833
                        kjesso
                        Participant

Setlist, from Instagram:

Year zero

Dream home

In our tree

Starmelt

Bartok

Tower

PPP

Intrepid explorer

Lacuna

Heartattack Mac

Pacific sonata

cuckoo

Ship of fools

Chien

Surfer

in reply to: 2017-09-27 Landmark, Bergen #30831
                          kjesso
                          Participant

Agreed – a very, very good show. It was obvious from the opening song, Year Zero – a marvellous version. The sound ruined some songs, but the two final songs, K9 and the Surfer, were excellent. Grown men were weeping next to me.

The audience was impressive too, by the way. Every song was followed by ruptourous applause, before everyone turned silent, waiting for the next song.

in reply to: The Tower #30509
                            kjesso
                            Participant
                              in reply to: Verkstedhallen, 24 May 2017 #30339
                              kjesso
                              Participant

@thoregil: Just to point out the obvious – the two other new songs must be The Cuckoo and The Tower. Which, of course, is what you intended to write.

in reply to: Motorpsycho on Mojo cd #29885
                                kjesso
                                Participant

Mojo has written nicely about Motorpsycho earlier as well. Their albums regularly get good/great reviews, and in their review of the Øya festival in 2006, Mojo labeled Motorpsycho "Europe's best kept secret" (or something similar).

But yes, a very cool introduction.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 149 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994