kjesso

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 149 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: THE DEATH DEFYING UNICORN #21445
    kjesso
    Participant

That four-star Mojo review in full:

Modern day Norwegian psychsters Motorpsycho reached a career peak with their last album, the fantastically named Heavy Metal Fruit. Taking its name from a lyric in Blue Oyster Cult's apocalyptic tune, Me 262, the album rippled with post-Deep Purple dynamism and jazz inflections. The latter are given full and further rein on this 2-CD set, the music for which was commissioned in 2010 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Molde International Jazz Festival. Teamed with keyboard player Ståle Storløkken and the Trondheim Jazz Orchestra, the power trio sculpt a phenomenal album which cuts across rock, jazz and neo-classical music with gleeful abandon. From volcanic guitarmageddon (Hollow Lands) to moments of grand ambition (the 10-minute plus swoop of Into The Gyre), this is as bold and as progressive as rock gets.

(Review by Phil Alexander)

in reply to: Bergen 24.03.2012 #21616
      kjesso
      Participant

Supernaut: like I said earlier, I probably should have moved around a bit. Mainly for my own enjoyment, but probably also, as you point out, to make sure that I (for once) knew what i was writing/talking about. But my legs are old and weary, so I decided to stay put.

And it turns out that my ears must be old and weary, too. OtherFool: We must have been standing very close to each other – I was standing on the floor, right in front of the gallery.

in reply to: This day in MOTORPSYCHO history #19231
        kjesso
        Participant

It's Sgt. Pepper Time:

It was twenty years ago today that I saw (and heard) Motorpsycho for the first time. Together with two flatmates I went to their show at Hulen, Bergen. There were around fifty in the audience at the start of the concert, around half of us stayed to the end. My two flatmates didn't enjoy it too much, but I was hooked. Over the years I've been to around forty MP-shows, and even if their pop trilogy bored me, and even if I lived for nine years in Volda, where they never played during those years, and from where it was always a bit of distance to the places they actually did play, and even if becoming a dad seven years ago made it even harder to go see them, they are still my favourite band.

I don't go to shows too often these days, but I now live in Voss, which makes it slightly easier to see Motorpsycho and other bands. I will continue to do so, even if the show in Bergen was a rather mixed experience, as I've mentioned in the Bergen thread.

in reply to: Bergen 24.03.2012 #21613
          kjesso
          Participant

Kulturguffen – that's me. The sound really annoyed me, and quite a few of those I talked to after the show. From what BT and OtherFool say, I probably should have moved around a bit, to see if it was better elsewhere.

And OtherFool – I agree that they sang quite well.

in reply to: This day in MOTORPSYCHO history #19229
            kjesso
            Participant

Yes, Rockefeller March 97 was a good one. The report I wrote for G-35 (published here: http://motorpsycho.fix.no/havetravel/reports/reports/rocke97.htm ) certainly suggests I was pleased. (Chas O. -> Kjesso)

in reply to: Morgenbladet Top 100 Best Norwegian Albums Of All Time #20181
              kjesso
              Participant
                in reply to: Morgenbladet Top 100 Best Norwegian Albums Of All Time #20177
                kjesso
                Participant

Just in case anybody's still interested: I mentioned earlier that Falck Forlag is publishing short books about the top ten albums, and that there will also be a booka with the short essays on the other ninety albums. It looks as if I got it slightly wrong, according to the link below there will be ten books published, presumably one on each of the top nine albums, and one with the others.

So it's official: Lobotomizer didn't make it.

http://www.bokkilden.no/SamboWeb/enkeltSok.do;jsessionid=8E600683623F3509027670363C202BAB.node2?enkeltsok=topp+10-b%C3%B8kene&button=%C2%A0

in reply to: Morgenbladet Top 100 Best Norwegian Albums Of All Time #20169
                  kjesso
                  Participant

Now it's just getting silly.

I haven't read today's Morgenbladet yet, I'm in a hotel in Stavanger, but according to Robert Hoftun Gjerstad, a rather frustrated journalist in Aftenposten, Timothy's is not even in the top ten. He's written a short article about how unbelievable it is that a glorious album that contains the two best songs ever written (his words – Leave it like that [!] and The Golden Core) isn't rated higher by other musicians.

I'm not even sure if I want to know what album is top of the list now. By looking at the musician's top ten, that Morgenbladet keeps publishing, it wouldn't surprise me if a-has debut album, Hunting High and Low, will top the list. Hopefully Juba Juba, another album on very many top ten lists, will be rated higher.

in reply to: Morgenbladet Top 100 Best Norwegian Albums Of All Time #20158
                    kjesso
                    Participant

Demon Box at 21. Slightly disappointing.

Morgenbladet will, like I mentioned earlier, arrange some concerts with artists from the list. There will actually be several, where albums from the list are performed in full. Some such shows were listed today (http://mbtopp100.no/live/), the most interesting being Holy Toy performing their classic Warzsawa, In Oslo, November 3rd.

in reply to: Morgenbladet Top 100 Best Norwegian Albums Of All Time #20155
                      kjesso
                      Participant

This may or may not mean anything, but in an ad for Morgenbladet they mention their list of 100 albums, and have various record covers spread around the ad. Motorpsycho presents the International Tussler Society is one of the covers used, which probable means that that album will appear on the list.

(The others albums used in the ad are Hunting High and Low, Ass Cobra, Neste Sommer, Materialtretthet, Levva Livet, Juba Juba, Death in the Rocking Horse Factory, and albums by DumDum Boys, Maria Solheim and Bel Canto, and two albums I don't recognize.)

in reply to: Morgenbladet Top 100 Best Norwegian Albums Of All Time #20152
                        kjesso
                        Participant

Blissard at #25, as mentioned in another thread.

With three albums on the list so far, and with at least two more to come, Motorpsycho will certainly be the band with most albums on the list. My guess is that Demon Box will be in the top ten, and Timothy's in the top three (together with Materialtretthet and Block to Block).

On Morgenbladet's web site, short essays about every album is published. These will be published later – the essays for albums 11-100 will be collected in one volume, while there will be longer essays written about the top ten albums. These longer essays will be published as ten short books, by Falck Forlag.

And there will also be at least one show to celebrate the top album / top albums.

in reply to: Morgenbladet Top 100 Best Norwegian Albums Of All Time #20148
                          kjesso
                          Participant

Trust Us at #65.

in reply to: Gig at the Opera, easter #19899
                            kjesso
                            Participant

Oh dear. My brother-in-law works at the Opera, and a year ago he got me free tickets for a (bloody marvellous) Wagner opera. The tickets were in one of the boxes right next to the stage – I wouldn't really mind getting the same seat this time.

in reply to: Kongsberg Jazzfestival July 09 2011 #19875
                              kjesso
                              Participant

Yes, quite a statement to make, especially when he gives the concert 5 out of 6. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I seem to recall some MP-shows that should be rated at least twice as high.

in reply to: 18.03.11 Trondheim, Byscenen #19488
                                kjesso
                                Participant

Hi,

to me this was a very uneven show. Some of the jamming just didn't seem right, especially the one in the middle of Manmower. Apart from that it was a good night, and for an old p-naut like myself it was great to (finally) hear Mountain again.

Some more thoughts here (Norwegian only):

http://kulturguffen.blogspot.com/2011/03/motorpsycho-byscenen-trondheim-18311.html

E

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 149 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994