gyankumar

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Motorpsycho – Behind The Sun (new album 2014) #25781

Received a promo copy last week and have listened through the entire record a couple of times. What can I say; Motorpsycho has continued to refine their signature sound. Better said: Nothing is new on this record and some might think that's great. In my opinion the record feels almost like a random-patch-work-edit from the 25 previous years. Will say, vocal parts, mellotron sounds, guitar solo, songwriting etc. is almost too familiar and almost every note has been played before; live or on record, to an extend that I can't recall anymore on which album or on what song!?!

Motorpsycho is probably still todays best rock band and maybe they have just settled on such a high technical standard and superb songwriting that one is pretty spoiled by their continuous output.

Personally I miss the noisy edges from "Demon Box", the interstellar improvisation from "Angel's & Daemons" or the gorgeous songwriting of "Trust us", "Timothy's" and "Unicorn", but having said that I realize that those five are probably the best five rock records of all time!

I will for sure enjoy the record from time to time. I will also continue to see the band play live, exactly like so many times before during the last 20 years. Sure, I'll buy their next record, too. But I will look for inspiration in the music of bands like Bushman's Revenge, Grand General, Stian Westerhus & Pale Horses etc, while (after all) Motorpsycho still sounds like Motorpsycho, and that is hard to beat, after 25 specesuitetravelling years. As I said before, nothing is really new. Sail on!

in reply to: Svenska Kaputt w. Reine Fiske & Torbjörn Zetterberg #23794

Sure:Edited_Thanks!

in reply to: Motorpsycho in the Opera 11.Nov.2012 #23190

I think we got it!

in reply to: Motorpsycho in the Opera 11.Nov.2012 #23172

What an amazing evening. Already the 600km long journey through heavy rain was an overture to the opera to come. The magnificent opera is a architecture dream and the interior and design is breath taking. First concert seated in the middle of row 8 gave a perfect view on the orchestra and light show. The sound was a bit high and lacking bass but overall it was a good sound concerning the 30 people involved. Few timing problems were obvious and soloing was not so remarkable.

The unicorn was complete and an encore would have felt wrong after such a performance.

I did not expect any improvement for the second show, but boy, they proved me wrong! Seated directly behind the mixing board I was about to witness a truely hifidelic moment in Motorpsycho history. During that performance the band melted together with the brass and string ensemble into one big Motorpsycho symphony orchestra. Snah played fantastic soli and Bent and Kenneth were a rhythm section to dream off. Ståle kept the arrangements tight and constantly flowing. Ole Kvarnbergs violin performance was breath taking. The overall achievement of playing the unicorn twice in front of a sold out opera audience can't get rated high enough. So good, so complete. I bow to you, in deep respect and gratitude. Have not listened to my Yes and Caravan symphonic albums for a while. But maybe it's time to get them out of the dungeons again.

And by the way, singing was superb especially during the second show. A sailor story performed by three rusty sailor voices. Sail on Psychonauts, it's the authenticity, dedication and joy what creates the love for this band and not the right vocal pitch, and even that got better over the years.

in reply to: Motorpsycho & The Pub :-) #22934

Jesus fucking christ that sounds disgusting. Cucumber, spaghetti and banana, who cares if it is a vegetarian pizza if it tastes like shit. Believe me, the only place in the world where people will eat and pay for something like that must be Germany. I am sure you need to be stoned out of your head and you have gulp it down with half a litre of Jägermeister. Mahlzeit!

in reply to: Blissard – 4CD #22759

Hej! Psychobubble 003. Put the CD in. Before it starts with *Sinful, wind-borne* you press fast rewind and go all the way back to 8.35. It´s a pretty quite intro with piano, fender rhodes, percussion and acoustic guitar. Nothing special but a nice intro. I am also excited about the Blissard 4 CD box, but on the other hand, I have not listened too often to the whole Timothys Monster box either. I prefer the original. Let´s just hope that there will be some outtakes and maybe a life version of S.T.G.

in reply to: 18.08.2012 Kartfestivalen #22675

Hej! If you look on the festival homepae under *transport*, you'll see that the last bus goes at 2.15. Motorpsycho is the last band on saturdays line up and are sceduled at 24.00. That would make the gig aprox. 120min. Just in case they are going to play longer and you decide to watch: Bring warm cloth,a blanket and a termos with warm tee and expect the temperature to be around 3C.

in reply to: 04.08.2012 Zappanale / Bad Doberan #22658

Hej! Would love to hear the Zappanale concert but when starting to download the file my anti virus program kicks in and detects the file as malewhare. How trustable is the source?

in reply to: Hennie Onstad #13013

Just dreaming through the Timothys Monster and got hooked on Grindstone. Did they actualy play that song during the soundcheck or is my memory playing tricks on me? Anyway, for me still one of the best MP concerts.

in reply to: Motorpsycho – Kongsberg Energimølla #21786

Hej

I am actualy planning to go to both concerts as well.

After the Rockefeller concert I'll stay by a friend near by Oslo and will go to Kongsberg the following day ca 15.00. You are welcome to join the ride.

in reply to: Motorpsycho in the Opera w/KORK – spring 2012 #20250

Hej! Check out the total amount printed on the receipt (kvittering) than you can at least see what you actualy paid for. There you'll also find other information which will help you to get your ticket. I wouldn´t be too worried.

BUT; to be honest I got a bit worried about the extra show. I don´t like the idea of playing an extra show at the same day, too much. Performing with an orchestra takes quite some focus I believe and to do that twice within a couple of hours seems to me a bit much (It's like playing the champions league semi-final games in one go!).

Maybe they are getting into it even more the second concert, who knows. Only way to find out is by attending both shows, which I will do (as well as probably all the 2500 other visitors!!!).

And magically we will reach the 3,5 hours which is nontheless the standart time for a good italian opera.

Pure genius!

Greetings from Sweden. Gyankumar

in reply to: Orgelfest II in Oslo Domkirke #20681

Wow, ten hours drive for 80 min concert. That was quite a stretch. Well I did it before, when Motorpsycho played Hoyvikodden, at Molde Jazz Festival, with Supersilent or this years Kongsberg gig. Everytime I drove home with a big smile on my face, not so yesterday.

Don`t get me wrong the atmosphere in the church was incredible and the sound superb.

The concert started off with Ståle playing the little organ in the corner of the right wing. That was pretty droning and I liked that part a lot since it builded up to such a wall of sound during it's ten minutes which than was taken by the band, placed on the churchs balcony.

In the beginning Snah played a beautiful crimson-like tone, not sure if it actualy was an e-bow. From now on Ståle played the big organ. The amplifyed organ sound was at times confusing since the organ itself was a hell of a machine.

Which brings it to the point. Hellmachine, should have been the name of the band that night or better Höllenmaschine. There is a lot of Italian 70's B-horror-movies which have the same kind of soundtrack. Heavy organ, italien prog-rock songwriting style, lots of drones.

The drum solo did not work for me. The cymbels created an incredible echo.

The two absolute highlights were the songs sung by Bent. Not sure if an angel like voice, but very heartful and clear.

Overall quite an experience. I am pretty sure that the whole thing will sound great on record.

Well, now the smile appears anyway. Maybe I was just exhhausted.

Is there a record of this one? Hope that the norwegian radio sends a stream.

Greetings from Stockholm

in reply to: First Strings of Stroop on Ebay.. #20650

Or Jimmy Cliff!

You can get it if you really want

But you must try, try and try

Try and try, you'll succeed at last…on ebay

in reply to: First Strings of Stroop on Ebay.. #20649

Like the Rolling Stones used to sing:

You can't always get what you want

But if you try sometimes well you might find

You get what you need

…or you have to pay a high price on ebay!

Yes! I am also about to buy a ticket, but strange enough the self-printing service is not available. That means 145nok for postage-fee if you live outside norway. Swedish ticnet.se offers the tickets but only via their partner company ticketmaster.no. I will call and find out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994