grindove

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Kingdom of Oblivion – reviews #38668
    grindove
    Participant

@ boomer former helm: I agree (I would have missed out on A LOT of my favorite music if I went by first impression), but even more strange to actually look at someone judging a track during first listen.

Though: I don't blame anyone! I'm wasting sooo much time just looking at clips of dogs doing nothing at all :|

I support what Punj Lizard does and writes – as usual.

in reply to: Kingdom of Oblivion #38156
      grindove
      Participant

GREAT album! And so far – after multiple spins – no track I want to skip. Wohoo!

My habit faithful, I refused to listen to the "single"/"teaser", or whatever it's called nowadays, to have the whole album with no familiar track overshadowing anything else when I received it.

"The waning" has some interesting/surprising chord progressions during the verses that are cool, but as a whole, it might actually be the least exciting track on the album. Weird for an opener? Well, this has happened before on MP albums.

I was a bit disappointed when I read here that it contains a cover, especially when it's of a song that I'm familiar with and fond of. But it turned out to be OK – it's so low in volume compared to the previous track that I hardly notice it :D

The Black Sabbathism (which some of you have mentioned) I hear is mostly towards the end of "The united debased" (instrumental parts after first vocal line in the final uptempo section), which makes me think of something from "The eternal idol" – an album I didn't like upon its release in 1987, but love now – but I bet it wasn't intentional. Also: it's brilliant!

"The transmutation of cosmoctopus lurker" is the highlight for me. Really one of my new favorite MP tracks. Fantastic! Top 50! Maybe even top 20! Complaint: too short! If this guitarism is compared to Dream Theater I have to stop hating that band. New exciting territory. I worship! And the effects on the vocals suits the song just perfect, adding some extra texture to the mood. Total geni! "Cormorant" rounding off the adventure in a nice way.

I love it when albums start good and end fantastic! There are few examples, and I'll add "KoO" to this little list.

Respect to audionauts, but sorry, complaints such as "compression" this, "mixing" that, "mastering" thus… I really can't relate when the album is this awesome :|

Hey, I even like the folky songs!

I repeat from my last post: I feel spoiled being a Motorpsycho fan.

in reply to: Too many albums? #38844
        grindove
        Participant

Rant alert!

I feel spoiled being a Motorpsycho fan. I think their creativity is amazing and the release pace now is perfect! According to me, there has always been less good songs on their albums – sometimes one, other times a few. I could easily remove tracks from "Demon box", "Tim's monster", "Trust us", "LLM", "HMF", "HBM", "The tower", "TAIO" etc, to make them more solid and even better than they already are – for me. But nothing points in the direction that the band (or the majority of you psychonauts) would choose to ditch the same material as I, so I'd rather have them as they are – with (for me) a few fillers – and see this flow of massive albums continue, than to wish that MP restricted themselves to shorter and fewer releases.

Sure, if I ever start using Spotify for real, I'm sure I'll rearrange quite a few MP albums for myself, but I don't have a smartphone, and at home I spin the vinyls.

Some of you sound as if putting "NOX" in the middle of "TAIO" was something that just happened without much thought. I'm pretty sure of the opposite – that they really wanted it to feel inconvenient, unpredictable, nontraditional and maybe even slightly weird. It works fine for me (even if I every other time start with side 4, followed by 1, and finish with "NOX").

I give up on most bands/artists after they disappoint me with an album, but when it comes to MP I know that it's still worth checking out next release, because maybe they've steered onto a different course, which keeps it exciting in itself, OR it might sound similar but with songs that simply appeal more to me, which definitely is good enough! A new MP album is always one of the highlights of the year here!

And what do I want next album to be like? Heavy? Prog? Pop? Metal? Psychedelic? Stoner? Hard? Soft? Long epics? Short to-the-points? I don't care! As long as the songs appeal to me, I really don't care which style it happens to be. Just "doing the genre" is absolutely no guarantee it will be good. Oh, hey, I always hope for NO COVERS on their albums. I hope for the same every time I see them live. I want 100% Motorpsycho!

OK, sudden end to this harangue:

Still my all time favorite band, and "KoO" really is awesome!

in reply to: Maiden Voyage rerelease + Sanderfinger #38210
          grindove
          Participant

Yes, a rather annoying bundle :| Can't make up my mind whether to spend a fortune now and be sure to get "Maiden voyage", or to wait until it's available separately, with the risk of missing it.

I'd happily pay twice the cost for a bundle of 1) "Maiden voyage" one-sided 12", 2) "Mountain" M-LP, 3) "Another ugly EP" M-LP, and 4) secret LP of unreleased/live Mp stuff :D

in reply to: The Secret History Of Norwegian Music #37747
            grindove
            Participant

@Vegard B. Havdal

"The TNT record to listen to is Knights of the new thunder."

Yes, totally! I first bought it in 1985, when I was 11, and still listen to it – at least every time one of the members has his birthday :cheers:

@mikke

"I would at least add Seigmen to the list"

Same here (although I prefer "Total"), but when I think about it I can only recall that Mp mentioned them once, when Snah 22 years ago in passing (maybe jokingly) said that Seigmen stopped using tremolo when Jimmy Fernandez' death put an end to The God Machine.

For some reason I expected Det Glade Vanvidd and Mark Anthony :|

in reply to: 30 years live stats #36408
              grindove
              Participant

Arvika is a small city (14000 inhabitants) in Sweden, 130 km east of Oslo.

in reply to: 30 years live stats #36406
                grindove
                Participant

True! 63 shows in 1993, according to this (if my counting is correct):

https://motorpsycho.fix.no/havetravel/motorgigs/

Haven't checked/compared those other years, though. But what struck me in the first place is that the Arvika Festival gig 1996-07-19 is listed on this old site but can't be found at dampsaba. So there might be more :|

in reply to: Live songs from 1990 to present #31624
                  grindove
                  Participant

Lovely, Juergen! I've been staring at this and BronYAur's amazing "30 years live stats" for hours now. Thanks, guys! Great work! More geekery, please!

One of the many things I love about Mp is that they have a big bunch of favorite songs to play, then they ditch a few of those and – sometimes surprisingly – reintroduces some of them a couple (or seven) years later. So, which songs appeared in their setlists for most CONSECUTIVE years? Considering they did zero gigs during 2005, that year simply doesn't exist. So 2006 follows 2004, OK?

11+12:

-Hogwash (1990-2000 + 2008-2019)

12:

-Year Zero (2008-2019)

10:

-On A Plate (2010-2019)

9:

-You Lied (2002-2011)

7+8:

-All Is Loneliness (1999-2006 + 2008-2015)

8:

-Like Always (1995-2002)

-Greener (2008-2015)

7:

-Home Of The Brave (1990-1996)

-Sister Confusion (1991-1997)

-The Wheel (1994-2000)

-Flick Of The Wrist (1994-2000)

-Superstooge (1997-2003)

-Hey, Jane (1997-2003)

-Neverland (2001-2008)

-Coalmine Pony (2006-2012)

-Vortex Surfer (2007-2013)

-Feel (2008-2014)

-Triggerman (2008-2014)

-Pills, Powders & Passionplays (2013-2019)

-August (2013-2019)

Unsurprisingly, "Hogwash" tops the list. Only in 2001, 2003 and 2007 they chose not to play it at all.

Quote:
                    284) Song For A Bro'

the song was called "Whip That Ghost" in 2013 and later

Isn't its REAL title (i.e. as printed on the album cover) actually "Whip That Ghost" ("Whip That Ghost (Song For A Bro')", on the inner sleeve/in the booklet)?

Quote:
                    329) The Jig Is Up (Kiss The Snake)

Played in 2014, 2015 and 2016

+2019.

in reply to: The Light Fantastic #36009
                    grindove
                    Participant

Bought "The light fantastic" in Berlin and got time to enjoy it today. As pointed out by some others here previously: lovely, super cool package :D

And I like those two new songs a lot!

Unfortunately, my copy looks (and sounds) like someone at the pressing plant dropped some tools on it before getting it inside the inner sleeve :| Clicks/pops during about a third of "California (I'm so sold)". On many other places too, but not as enduring.

Several times during later years I've bought new, factory sealed records with very audible scratches on them. I get the feeling that employees at pressing plants nowadays don't know what they are doing. Anyone else experiencing this?

in reply to: Roadwork VI – or "what blew our minds on Crucible II"? #36328
                      grindove
                      Participant
                        Quote:
                        An accompanying CD would help solve the long track problem.

Sure, I know, and those of us who actually prefer to play our vinyls only have ourselves to blame – that's life. But what surprises me is that this has happened on Motorpsycho releases, although Bent etc praises and values the vinyl format.

Sadly, I've only listened through the complete RW5 twice, because it's too annoying. Still, yes, I understand: that's MY problem.

in reply to: Roadwork VI – or "what blew our minds on Crucible II"? #36325
                        grindove
                        Participant

One thing I wish for is that no songs are spread out over two sides of the vinyl. It happens twice on RW5, and it really ruins the listening pleasure for me. I'd prefer shorter versions with no interuptions.

in reply to: 2019-10-17 DE Berlin, Festsaal Kreuzberg #36301
                          grindove
                          Participant

Three of my all time favorite Mp songs: "Year zero", "Mad sun" (fantastic in any version!) and "Hey, Jane". Other highlights: all three "Crucible" tracks, second half of "Sonata", "No evil", "Bonny Lee" (I've finally realised how good it is) and "The tower".

Low points: "Mockingbird", first half of "Sonata" and the "SpinHogHalle" ending the main set. That has nothing to do with how they were performed, it's just stuff I'm not a huge fan of :| And I prefer no covers – I just want 100% Mp, haha!

Over all rather great, even if not among the best Mp shows I've seen. Awesome playing, good communication etc. Reine is still my favorite bonus member (adds the right things and correct vibes for me) and Tomas continues to impress!

Unfortunately I'm no ThorEgil with the camera, so my pix from the show might not be very exciting, but here's a link anyway:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grindove/albums/72157711427432547

Hei mefisto :-)

Side note: I caught a crowdsurfer (the only one of the evening, or were there more of those?) with my face, slightly damaging my glasses and nose, but no big deal – I'm fine!

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2019 #34086
                            grindove
                            Participant

Took some vacation from work to attend the Berlin show next week (quite cheap flights from Stockholm). VERY excited!

in reply to: Motorpsycho is making a beer #35290
                              grindove
                              Participant

Such a coincidence: Stockholm based brewery Macken will also release a Motorpsycho beer this month, although not connected to "our" band, but to the Swedish action rock scene of the 90s/00s.

http://mackenbryggeri.se/gasolines.html

in reply to: Spring 2019 tour – what were your highlights? #35743
                                grindove
                                Participant

Just witnessing them again was the highlight of this spring for me! Reine is my favorite bonus member. Good setlist where I attended (Copenhagen, May 15). Only two covers, compared to Hannover a week later where 5 out of the 15 songs were covers. I would have been disappointed. Mind you, I think they do them well, but I really want as many percent Motorpsycho as possible when I see them (preferably 100).

Usually – regardless which artist – I'm not a fan of the complete new (or any) album being performed live, but in this case it's brilliant! All three songs work remarkably well (read: I think they are great), plus there's still plenty of time for lots of old/older favorites/surprises during the shows :D

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 86 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994