Johnny_Heartfield

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 529 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 30.9.2023 – Kultursalen, Sandane #41843
    Johnny_Heartfield
    Participant

Another Chariot! That makes me hope for the October gigs.
      Btw: It’s Charlie Bob Bent, not Billy Bent Talbot on bass – so there might be some problems there ;-)

in reply to: 23.09.23 – Verkstedhallen, Trondheim #41832
      Johnny_Heartfield
      Participant

@ Thor: Excellent fotos, as usual…

btw.: Olaf’s physiognomy always reminds me of Daevid Allen. Even so when he had longer hair last year at the Berlin gig.
        So – Let it be said – I love Olaf!

in reply to: 23.09.23 – Verkstedhallen, Trondheim #41813
        Johnny_Heartfield
        Participant

I regard Motorpsycho as an organic entity that oscillates between the poles of well-written alternative pop songs, heavy grooves and psychedelic to almost freeform-jazzy excursions into space. No need to nail them to just one element. I have found joy in almost any MP phase, although it took me quite a while to digest the “screamy vocals” period at the beginning. But then before that was “Maiden Voyage” – and here you go. Enjoy the moment if you can. Albumwise I find musical gems from 1991 on, though my favourite live concerts probably were in 2013 (Darmstadt), 2017 (Cologne!) and 2019 (Wiesbaden). But for nothing in the world wouldt I have missed the gigs beween.
          Btw: would be a great title for an extensive live documentation or a self-reflective retrospective lyric: “There were gigs, there were gigs, and there were gigs between…”

in reply to: 23.09.23 – Verkstedhallen, Trondheim #41783
          Johnny_Heartfield
          Participant

I share the conscience’s view on the 2006 tour with Jacco. And let’s not put too much weight on Olaf’s shoulders – good, that he stepped in, otherwise there woulnd’t be a Norwegian leg of the tour – or just a folky duo, which, for a fan, might still be of some interest ;-).

@ suntripper: Also looking forward to Bent-Snah-Ingvald. Reine is not part of the line-up in Europe (south of Norway) – or am I wrong? Would be great anyway…

in reply to: 23.09.23 – Verkstedhallen, Trondheim #41766
            Johnny_Heartfield
            Participant

Funny – I just watched the Tromsø show on Youtube yesterday and was positively surprised – again. The setlist didn’t sound too promising, but the sound was great and the band delivered.
              Admittedly there’s less musical adventure in this year’s concerts so far, no wonder given the drummer situation. But I think it is o.k. sometimes to just lean back and follow a more tradiditional path, just to prepare for further explorations in the future.
              I do have some hope for the European leg of the tour. Probably with Ingvald they should solve the new/sit-in drummer situation the other way round: explore, improvise on a few musical monsters instead of just repeating a limited set of shorter songs, which is quite un-motorpsychedelic anyway. Blow up the tunes, not the set. Even when it’s a Yay! tour, and not Monster Crucible Chariots Towering at Azrael’s Sonata.
              But throwing in the odd “Chariot” now and then instead of playing “Gullible” too often…

in reply to: 16.09.2023 – NO, Bergen – Røkeriet USF #41726
              Johnny_Heartfield
              Participant

Given the past few gigs a rather unsurprising setlist this time. Motorpsycho never cease to surprise me ;-)

in reply to: 09.09.2023 NO Oslo – Rockefeller #41711
                Johnny_Heartfield
                Participant

If this tour develops the way it has begun, it looks more like an overall retrospective – with elements from all MP phases in almost equal representation, probably one or two calmer (Semi-)acoustic songs and only the odd latter days prog monster from time to time, but four times as long nevertheless…
                  This all is Motorpsycho? Yay!

Still I could do with a little more jamming adventure – an unlikely expectation given the drummer circumstances, but probably possible with Ingvald after several “learning” gigs. On the other hand I would gladly enjoy an (almost) acoustic version of Chien d’Espace for a change ;-)

in reply to: 2022-04-29 Malmö, Plan B #41648
                  Johnny_Heartfield
                  Participant

Nothing new yet – just a reminder to busily post the latest setlists each night – for those who must remain at home…

in reply to: New Music #41616
                    Johnny_Heartfield
                    Participant

Not exactly new – but coverwise the missing link between “Ancient Astronauts” and its “Affinity” & “Cluster”-forefathers mentioned some aeons before & above. Long memory in the age of social media – a futile enterprise…

Datashock-Black-to-Comm-Collaboration

in reply to: New Music #41602
                      Johnny_Heartfield
                      Participant

Shortly on Burg Herzberg’s Freak Stage:

sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

in reply to: Motorpsycho Tribute Series #41587
                        Johnny_Heartfield
                        Participant

Lady May as it should be played – wonderful! Grrreat!

in reply to: YAY! – Album reviews #41560
                          Johnny_Heartfield
                          Participant

Excellent article by Ingvald. He sure learned a few more words since I last met him. “Johann Snahbastian Ryan”! ;-)
                            Looking forwart to the European MP gigs…

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41555
                            Johnny_Heartfield
                            Participant

@The conscience: Excellent answer! Of course you’re absolutely right.
                              Even so there might be the dates of the recording sessions, but the publishers keep them shrouded in mystery to keep their artistic time control. Would be confusing anyway. Guess somebody wanted to research the exact chronological order of the songs on Motorpnakotic Fragments!

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41544
                              Johnny_Heartfield
                              Participant

@Langbein: You have a point there. They have really stretched the heavy prog formula (somewhere between Yes, Magma and Van der Graaf) far – though I miss something a little more complicated in the new stuff. My ideal would be something in the vein of 577 – good songwriting, melodies and yet some motorpsychedelic trancey elements with unusual time signatures in between.

in reply to: New Motorpsycho Album 16.06.23 #41536
                                Johnny_Heartfield
                                Participant

@ Langbein: “the first “true” Motorpsycho album in many years”
                                  Really? I doubt your ability of judgement – feel free to doubt mine ;-)

Honestly – I got the impression MP have entered into their old age phase (had that with KOO already): less adventurous, rather maintream production, shaky voices (Bent’s recent trys at tremolo – shudder!). Those simple acoustic guitar tunes worked well in the old days – but I have a mixed feeling with that new effort.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 529 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994