TAF

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 234 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Motorpsycho on Mojo cd #29877
    TAF
    Participant

Wonder which song they went for in the compilation? The most Sabbath-sounding song they've released would be W.B.A.T., imo. So Sabbath-sounding, in fact, that the riff is almost a carbon copy of A National Acrobat off the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath album. Come to think of it, the whole arrangement makes it sound like a SBS outtake. :P

…but I'm guessing they would have chosen something newer. Hell 1-3, perhaps?

EDIT: Make that Hell 1-2, actually.

in reply to: MP will compose and play for Trøndelagt Teater #28443
      TAF
      Participant

Anyone eager to hear the music from this show can find what they're looking for over at motortrades – and only there.

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO — "Here Be Monsters" Tour 2016 #28904
        TAF
        Participant

Ah well, the first tour for a while I won't be able to attend. :(

Here's hoping someone has their recording equipment handy. :)

in reply to: Carte Blanche & Motorpsycho at the Oslo Opera House #29018
          TAF
          Participant

@TraktorBass & @Un.Chien.d.Espace: Apparently Motorpsycho has covered both Can and Pink Floyd – there's the Halleluhwah part that pops up in Hogwash every now and then, and (had to look this up) apparently Interstellar Overdrive was covered in UFFA in 1990. :P

EDIT: And the show review sounds awesome! Not sure if I will be able to attend any of the shows on this tour, though. :/

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO — "Here Be Monsters" Tour 2016 #28873
            TAF
            Participant

Keeping my fingers crossed for a show or two in the gap between Oslo and Haugesund.

in reply to: Here Be Monsters #28546
              TAF
              Participant

Re: Lacuna/Sunrise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LVUHNeqZeI

Re: I. M. S. (Inner Mounting Shame):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LLt1QY2JHQ

in reply to: Here Be Monsters #28536
                TAF
                Participant

Haven't seen this (long) piece before:

http://www.backstage.eu/veranstaltungen/live/item/motorpsycho

— — —

MOTORPSYCHO – Here Be Monsters CD/LP/Digital

Catalogue Nr: Psychobabble 083

Release date: 12.02.2016

Here be monsters started life as a commissioned work for the centennial jubilee of the Norwegian Technical Museum in November of 2014. The music was written for the expanded version of Motorpsycho that features everyone's favourite keyboardist Ståle Storløkken (Elephant9, Bol, Supersilent, etc.), and was partially developed with him in the months leading up to the concert. Performed just once, this music clearly had more life in it, and when Ståle, due to other commitments, had to pass on making an album out of it, it turned into a full-blown Motorpsycho project. Most of the basic tracks were recorded in Nidaros studios in Trondheim in February 2015, but more music was added to the original batch all year, until the album found its final shape in November when it was mixed. A long process, but ultimately a rewarding one as the long, stretched-out production period let the band really consider and evaluate all the musical minutiae even more thoroughly than usual.

Musically the album has, perhaps due to its provenance, turned into a somewhat less rockist proposition than usual, but those who like their psych motorpsychodelic will most likely find much to like in this album. In addition to five of their own compositions, the band also found this the perfect occasion to record one of their favourite psych nuggets of old, and their take on H.P.Lovecraft’s version of Terry Callier’s ‘Spin Spin Spin’ fits in well with their own compositions, adding a new, slightly sinister vibe to the old folk tune and offsetting and complementing the grandiose sweep of their own songs perfectly.

Make no mistake – this is cinematic psych to the max, and while neither a double album nor exactly a brand new musical tangent in the Psychoverse, the cinematic qualities of Motorpsychodelia have never been explored this thoroughly on vinyl. Co-produced, engineered and mixed by long time co-conspirator and fellow sonic explorer Thomas Henriksen, the album is also a new personal best for Motorpsycho in the hi-fi stakes. This is headphone music designed to tickle your aural pleasure centers.

But not to worry – while it may not be about the big, dumb rawk this time around, it sure isn’t easy listening either!

Where the museum version lyrically focused on history and time, this new, revised version looks at other aspects of life. It is perhaps not a jubilant celebration of existence as such, but it tries to put words together that in concert with the music hopefully might shed a little light on the human condition as seen from Trøndelag in the second decade of the second millennium by grown men in a juvenile profession. (Let confusion reign!)

Where Lacuna/Sunrise perhaps looks at some of the lesser proud moments in a man’s life, and I.M.S. (inner mounting shame) mainly discusses the humiliation and distress that often rides in tandem with such lapses in judgement, Big Black Dog addresses the long dark night of the soul that the weeks and months of near total winter darkness often lays upon those who live in near arctic conditions. The inside often mirrors the outside, and those months do tend to get rather too dark for some of us…

Motorpsycho realise that the map never is fully explored and that you venture into the unknown at your own peril, be it in your head or out there in the world. This album is both a recognition of the urges that drive us and a testimonial to their effect on our lives. It is Motorpsycho in effect taking a long look into the abyss, and as such might be termed exorcist music: going deep to drive the darkness out, yet all the while understanding and accepting that what you find is – while not always pretty – real and true and a part of us all.

‘When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back’, F.Nietzsche

‘Better out than in’, Granny LeBad

‘Here be monsters’, Motorpsycho

in reply to: Here Be Monsters #28535
                  TAF
                  Participant

And the Terry Callier original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms7fFJW6ZNM

in reply to: Toys single #28772
                    TAF
                    Participant

I ordered on the 13th and was considering sending an e-mail asking what's up… but judging from this thread I guess I'll skip the e-mail and just wait a bit longer. :P

in reply to: Tour 2015 #27665
                      TAF
                      Participant

I was thinking earlier today that it's been a while since I've seen Hogwash in a setlist, the prospect of its reappearance makes me happy. :)

in reply to: MÃ¥keskrik, Krisiansand 11.07 #28058
                        TAF
                        Participant
                          in reply to: MÃ¥keskrik, Krisiansand 11.07 #28055
                          TAF
                          Participant
                            in reply to: MÃ¥keskrik, Krisiansand 11.07 #28052
                            TAF
                            Participant

I was there! Recording forthcoming. Meanwhile, here's the setlist:

year zero

nerve tattoo >

starmelt/lovelight

magic & the wonder

hell 1-3 >

through the veil

greener

starhammer >

hallucifuge >

loneliness

ca. 1:35 – ended right at the curfew so no encores. :(

in reply to: Demon Box box #27460
                              TAF
                              Participant

According to setlist.fm She Said, She Said was never played live.

As for whether it was recorded… who knows? The track list suggests it was recorded, as album sequencing is something you usually don't worry about until most or all of the tracks have been recorded. But if it was recorded, why was it then left out of the box set? Perhaps there are royalty issues we don't know about? Perhaps it was just not a very good cover version? We may never know.

in reply to: The Visitant #27534
                                TAF
                                Participant

Agree with otherdemon. The live versions of Eagle's Son are blistering!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 234 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994