Devotional

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 143 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 2017-09-23 Konserthuset, Oslo #30771
    Devotional
    Participant

This was the best Oslo-show since I don't know when…

in reply to: 2017-09-23 Konserthuset, Oslo #30770
      Devotional
      Participant

Posting the real setlist here to avoid confusion:

Set 1: (20:30 – 21:40)

The Tower

In Every Dream Home

The Cuckoo

Upstairs / Downstairs

Cloudwalker

Hell, Part 1-3

Un Chien d'Espace (30 mins)

Set 2: (22:12 – 23:35)

Manmower

Intrepid Explorer

Bartok Of The Universe

Heartattack Mac

Lacuna / Sunrise

Ship Of Fools

Feel

Here Be Monsters

TOTAL: 2h 43m (+ 22m pause between sets)

in reply to: The Nerve Tattoo – NRK, 1996 – REMASTERED #29440
        Devotional
        Participant

Lorentz, thank you so much for sharing the story. That is amazing, and almost unbelievable that NRK couldn't supply you with a recording of it afterwards. I’m glad that you finally got to see it.

It is definitely a superb performance, with an epic ending – much thanks to your and OHM's contributions, although I can totally understand that you were thrown off a bit by the rather reserved audience. I didn't know about your live work with Seigmen either. Would be really cool to see or hear a recording of that. Although the viola has been in its flight case for the past 20 years, it certainly has an eventful legacy. Hope you will pick it up again at some point!

If you'd like a digital copy of the Wiese remaster, just drop me a line at starmelts@gmail.com, and I’ll send you the video + a WAV.

Chris

in reply to: The Nerve Tattoo – NRK, 1996 – REMASTERED #29438
          Devotional
          Participant

knoot: The version on NRK has the annoying letterbox, as well as inferior sound and slightly brighter, more washed out colours than this remaster. It's certainly cool that NRK are expanding their online archive, though. Who knows what other MP treasures they might dig up in the future.

I think that the ending in this version is particularly great. Love the violins (OHM + ?) + Deathprod. in full force. 8)

in reply to: 02/04/2016 Rockefeller, Oslo #29139
            Devotional
            Participant
              in reply to: 02/04/2016 Rockefeller, Oslo #29138
              Devotional
              Participant
                in reply to: 02/04/2016 Rockefeller, Oslo #29137
                Devotional
                Participant

MP came to Rockefeller Saturday with a surprisingly similar setlist to the show in Skien. The first 11 (!) songs were the same. It wasn't until "Superstooge" (my first since 2002) kicked in – wrong bass and all – that we got a change. Instead of "Hell", we also got "Upstairs/Downstairs" and "Cloudwalker (A Darker Blue)" before "Manmower", and the "Big Black Dog"/"Here Be Monsters" finale. We can only speculate why, but one possibility is that they wanted to have a well-oiled set for today's taping. Yes, the show was pro-shot, and the audience was informed by the entrance that the gig would be filmed. Footage from the camera at the first gallery + soundboard audio was streamed live to a big screen by the merch table. It looked stunning with the new backdrop. I could occasionally spot a camera-guy by the first row downstairs too.

I thought I was going to be smart and buy the limited 12" early, but it was sold out 10 minutes into the show. I queued up for 15 minutes (with the whole line rocking out to "S. T. G."),, but just missed out on one. When Bent introduced HBM, and said that it was available at the merch stand, many people shouted "NOOO! SOLD OUT!", which made Bent smile and make a comment to Kenneth.

Snah played a particularly good show imho, and seemed very energised by the new material. The set-up with the mellotrons and pedals looked and sounded very cool, but kept Bent and Snah very busy, and there were some "rough around the edges" moments. And yes, Bent messed up the beginning of "Superstooge" (which rules, btw). That didn't detract from the concert as a whole, though. It was very, very good. Bent was in fine voice, save for breaking up completely during the first line of "Whole Lotta Diana" (that definitely didn't seem intentional). I agree that "Manmower" was a bit of a low-point, with Kenneth being the main offender. His feel was just too loose and sloppy during the verses, and it sounded almost ironic. He played an otherwise excellent show, though. As for "Big Black Dog", while the song itself might not be an all-time-favourite, the lead-out riff at the very end is imho a classic MP riff (I LOVE Bent's bass-line) that could almost reach Golden Core-heights, had they settled into a beat at some point. They stayed in the hurricane, but just hearing that part played was a huge highlight for me, and it was SO much better than the record, as was the heavy version of "Spin, Spin, Spin". "S. T. G." Is a great choice for second track. I thought "I. M. S." worked well too, and "Lacuna/Sunrise" was open and beautiful. Bent's bass-lines on the new tracks are brilliant, and have to be experienced live.

"Feedtime" was great (very stoked that they've kept playing it), and I filmed that one and the entire 25-minute "Here Be Monsters". I for one loved to see Snah and Bent build those layers of sound, although there were some hiccups – which again leads me to think that Bob LeBad might not see this entire gig fit for release. We'll see about that, but I enjoyed it a lot. Would I have traded "Upstairs/Downstairs", "Cloudwalker" (which was excellent) AND "Manmower" for "Psychonaut" alone? Of course, but as it happened the concert really fit my mood that day, and it was a great experience overall.

Go see this tour, it can only get better!

in reply to: 2 tickets Rockefeller #29124
                  Devotional
                  Participant

Devotional
                    Participant

"Home Of The Brave" too? Unbelievable! This must come out at some point. Wow…!

Devotional
                      Participant

"Flesh Harrower"!!!

Devotional
                        Participant

Thanks so much for the info, Rolf and Tomcat. There's one video up so far ("Sunchild"):

Thanks to the taper! I'm repeating my request to those going tonight ("Feedtime" and "Gutwrench" pretty please?).

Devotional
                          Participant

Psychonauts: This is just a personal request, but I'm sure others would be interested too.

To those present at these shows – unless you'll be engaging actively in the actual concert – be it losing yourself completely in the music with eyes closed, moshing down the front or screaming your lungs out to "Mr. Who" (hehe), please get your cameras out and film the rare tracks, such as "Feedtime", "Gutwrench", "Sunchild", "Babylon", "Mr. Who", "Sheer Profoundity" and the title track. Mainstream media (if present) tend to focus on the "classics", such as "Waiting For The One" and "Nothing To Say", and we certainly can't count on MP themselves to document (although a three night run would be the PERFECT opportunity for an epic Roadworks release).

The fact that we don't have a complete film from Øya 2010 (or at least the final hour) is an absolute tragedy, and the same can to a certain extent be said about Slottsfjell, but at least now we have the chance again.

I'm not in any way urging people to step out of the concert experience to stand back and passively film, or distract others with cameras, but for those who're not too physically or spiritually preoccupied, it would make a brilliant contribution to the community to document these incredibly rare tracks live. "Gutwrench", "Feedtime", the title track, "Mr. Who" and "Sheer Profoundity" would be on top of my wishlist, ymmv. Good quality audio recordings would also be much appreciated.

Have a great time, everybody. I'm there in spirit.

in reply to: Demon Box 18July Slottsfjell feat. GEBHARDT? #28035
                            Devotional
                            Participant
                              Quote:
                              otherdemon: For some reason they played Junior before Babylon/Mr. Who. Bent said "for dramaturgic reasons we're gonna play side 4 now" and then they went straight into Junior. Not sure why they swapped the order, but whatever.

Thanks, you're absolutely right! I've updated the setlist.

Quote:
                              Netsrak: Did you spot any professional cameras, btw?

Unfortunately, no. There were no cameras onstage, and save for a journalist who was down in the pit with a camera and a microphone during "Waiting For The One" (focusing mainly on the crowd), I couldn't see any cameras elsewhere either. I planned to shoot/record the whole thing, but security was really tight, and while the guards were cool with photos, they didn't seem to like filming. Maybe someone did some more extensive taping further back, but from down the front, it's unlikely we'll see more than brief clips.

I shot some footage following the first couple of psychonauts up the stairs, right from when the gates were opened, as well as a brief clip of "Sheer Profoundity" and the amazing "Step Inside Again"-section of "Demon Box", interspersed with some pictures and footage from later that night at Slottsfjell. It's only 5 minutes or so, but if you want to see it, it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilD5cw3wl_w

in reply to: Demon Box 18July Slottsfjell feat. GEBHARDT? #28028
                              Devotional
                              Participant

Setlist:

Waiting For The One

Nothing To Say

Feedtime

Gutwrench

Sunchild

Mountain

Tuesday Morning

All Is Loneliness

Junior

Babylon

Mr Who

Plan #1

Sheer Profoundity

The One Who Went Away

Come On In

Demon Box > Step Inside Again > Demon Box

Note: Bent only barely left the stage to pick up an acoustic for "Come On In", so maybe it's stretching it to call it an encore, but the rest of the band did say "Takk for oss" and waved goodbye before leaving the stage.

So here I am back at home. Too numb to type, really. Words can not express how beautiful and surrealistic it was to get the whole album that kicked off my Motorpsychodelic journey played out in front of me like this. And I have to say that in my humble opinion the music if possible occupies even more of its own space now than it did back in 1993. There really isn't anything quite like it around. Not in the Motorpsycho catalogue, nor anywhere else. It is such an incredible record – dark and lysergic, and it really came to life tonight.

… And it almost didn't happen. Six concerts were cancelled at Slottsfjell today, and several were moved because of the strong wind. It wasn't until exactly 21:47 that the stairs opened, and we knew it would happen after all. Snah looked a bit worried when I saw him 20 minutes earlier, and the first thing Bent told us was that if the wind went past 15 m/s during the show, the festival would pull the plug on them, "so breathe against the wind". Luckily the wind was on our side, and we got the whole record. The band played for roughly 1 hour and 40 minutes.

The line-up was Geb, Kenneth, Bent, Snah and Deathprod. I believe they played the album in the order of side 1, 2, 4 (referenced as side "D" by Bent) and 3 (with "Step Inside Again" being played as part of "Demon Box", '93 style) (edit: as otherdemon pointed out, Junior was played before "Babylon" and "Mr Who"). Seeing Geb (with his four-piece drum kit) back on stage was such a joy. Not only did he still have it, but he seemed to have a very good report with Kenneth. They both played all the "drum songs" with two drum-kits, occasionally alternating roles, such as on "All Is Loneliness", where Geb played toms, and Kenneth cymbals (if I'm not mistaken). Bent and Snah stayed on acoustic for that one. It was pretty close to the album version, but was one of the very few underwhelming moments during the gig imho. It just felt a bit out of focus, and much less epic than the longer electric versions we've been spoiled with. Bent struggled a bit with his bass pedals throughout, or should I say that the sound engineer did, because whenever he stepped on them, it was a hit or miss as to how they would sit in the mix. They worked wonders when they did, though (such as on "Feedtime" and "Mountain"), and by "Plan #1" the mix was finally great down the front. It was bliss.

But yeah, some obvious technical difficulties aside, it's just impossible for me to write an "objective" or "intellectual" report of this gig. It was such a primal experience. And although the sound was probably better further back, I decided to stay up front (held the barrier) to mingle with the hardcore Psychonauts (of which there was plenty – one came all the way from California just to catch this gig), and avoid most of the stupendously drunk and chatty crowd, which was surprisingly respectful when Bent asked for quiet during "Come On In", and surprisingly energetic during "The One Who Went Away", where there was some serious moshing going on (Bent also jokingly urged the crowd to pogo and mosh like it was the 90's). Deathprod was smiling and nodding his head, clearly approving of the moshing, as was Snah, who had that wide awake but tripping "YES!"-look he gets sometimes.

Most of us in the the front row were headbanging and screaming our lungs out during "Feedtime", "Gutwrench" and "Sheer Profoundity" (tonight is was the harder – the more ecstatic), and although we couldn't hear all that much of the vocals where I stood, Bent's voice held up surprisingly well through all of the screaming, because he sounded fine during "Come On In". It did take its toll, though. His eyes looked nearly psychotic after a few of the tracks, and he took frequent swigs from a small bottle in his pocket. Still, a superb performance. Snah did a good amount of primal screaming himself, and generally seemed to be very energised and moved by the music. For "Demon Box", Bent sang most of the verses alone, and Snah came in and screamed the "I need you like I need gangrene"-part, which worked better than at Henie Onstad, where they both sang the verses.

I may be wrong, but I believe Bent sang some previously unheard words instead of laughing during "Tuesday Morning" (which was another track where they seemed to struggle a bit). Also of note, for "Mr Who" (which was really sweet and goofy), Kenneth played a small toy kit while Geb played acoustic guitar and sang back-up. Bent did all the electric songs with his Rickenbacker, and Snah played the violin for "Waiting For The One", but did not pull it out again for any psychedelic jamming like he did in '93.

And speaking of jamming – although they played for an hour and forty, there wasn't really a whole lot of time to stretch out, so many of the jammy tracks, such as "Nothing To Say" and "Mountain" were quite conservative, and I often wished they'd gone on for another couple of minutes. The big one was obviously saved for last, and I've never heard a more beautiful noise-out than the one they did for "Step Inside Again" into the last part of "Demon Box". It was fucking brutal. Deathprod gave his all here, at one point kneeling and feeding against the monitors while Bent was up against his amps, and Snah was noising away with a screwdriver on his guitar. I wish it would have gone on forever. A guy next to me told me he had trouble breathing because of the massive bass. I was certain the PA was gonna blow, but somehow it made it. It was a triumph. Bent thanked the crowd with glassy eyes afterwards, and the ovation went on for at least 5 minutes (maybe more) until the crew started packing up.

It must have been torturous for the band to spend a whole day in uncertainty, not knowing whether the gig was gonna happen or not, and even while they played there was always the chance of it being cut short. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the added stress and tension seemed to bring an extra nerve to the performance. They played and sang like their lives depended on it. What can I say? You all should've been there.

in reply to: Demon Box 18July Slottsfjell feat. GEBHARDT? #28026
                                Devotional
                                Participant

The word backstage is that it will happen :)))

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 143 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994