monomind

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12833
    in reply to: Promotion Thread – Post your music here #11973

Thank you for the feedback! I've handled the production myself, in addition to most of the songwriting and singing. I'm far from a pro when it comes to the production bit, and this is my first stab at tweaking live drums (I've only done drum programming until now) It's DIY and learning by doing, I suppose. I certainly agree that there is room for improvement. I haven't compressed the drums by intention, however I think that mic placement and the quality of the set has played a part. But thank you for kind words and constructive criticism. I will certainly keep your words in mind during future recording sessions.

in reply to: Promotion Thread – Post your music here #11971

We've recorded an album and stuck it up on bandcamp :)

Feedback is much appreciated.

http://www.actionatadistance.bandcamp.com

in reply to: rw4 #18973

There are a couple of things that strike me as weird.

1) The right leg of the guy with the glove (dunno what they are called in basball) looks odd. Almost like an improvised prosthetic.

2)The left leg of 45 is apparently reacing over the other guys leg, yet you cannot see the foot where one would expect it to be visible.

3) Considering that their feet has crossed, one would assume that the two men are in close proximity to each other, yet 45 seems alot bigger so that it appears that he is much closer to the photographer than the other guy.

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12788

New album by And you will know us by the trail of dead is just brilliant :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ik5V6_8QC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds66Xl1IEC4&feature=related

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12772

Yay! New album by …and you will know us by the trail of dead to be released February.

First single out now.

Seems promising too, particularly the prog inspiration:

http://pitchfork.com/news/40729-listen-trail-of-dead-summer-of-all-dead-souls/

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12737

One of my favourite bands out there are Cardiacs, and their double album “Sing to God” is in my opinion a masterpiece.

Sadly, their singer, Tim Smith, had a heart attack a while back, so no one knows when their new album will see the light of day. I’m currently enjoying their two most recent live albums, “Special Garage Concert Vol. 1 and 2”.

in reply to: Leizpig, Conne Island 07-06-2010 #17562

In an ideal world motorpsycho would be huge, playing gigantic venues.

And a chunk of saliva flying from stage wouldn’t stand a chance of reaching the audience.

Sometimes people act without thinking things through. It’s a heat of the moment thing.

Most artists have a couple of blunders on their CV. It happens.

No disrespect to the person who got spat at. I can imagine that being very unpleasant, regardless of the identity of the spitter.

Someone mentioned earlier that the band are only humans. That’s very true. In fact they are humans playing intense and emotional music night after night, trying to put on monolithic shows in more or less initimate settings. That’s probably exhausting. May even blur one’s judgement every now and then. I say forgive and forget.

Fair point.

Few bands manage to cough up quality b-sides like Motorpsycho.

One other band springs to mind, though.

My (ahem..) “guilty pleasure”, The Wildhearts.

Good tip :)

Cheers.

Yup, I’m sure there are better sounding options to the Ipod. My reasons for buying it was basically down to storage space. I’ve got a 160GB version, which basically allows me to pop my entire music collection on there, more or less.

Which allows me to um….travel light :).

I`m completely off topic here. In addition I’ve suddenly realised that I’m shamelessly promoting Apple. That wasn’t my intention at all…

Anyways, I’ve got a friend in France who’s quite an odd one (in a positive way). He’s quite commercially oriented as far as music is concerned, but he does enjoy listening to Motorpsycho. However, he doesn’t care that much about the albums…strangely enough he basically prefers the b-sides. It’s a bit puzzling to me. I’ve tried to give him a little insight into the band, but it seems that I’ve gone about doing it the wrong way.

He’s not seen them live yet, though. I’m hoping to invite him to Norway around the time that mp plays a gig in my home town. It will be like visiting a very loud tourist attraction.. :)

I think you’re right about that.

Safe production and predictable three minute tunes is the way to go go if you won’t/can’t invest time in experiencing music. The easy way to go is to pick up on some “catchy” little tune on the radio. You can hum along to it while driving the kids to kindergarten, and it doesn’t require that much focus.

At the end of the day, I can understand and respect the fact that people approach music in that manner. And the fact that the most popular songs are created to be “easy to swallow” makes me appreciate MP’s music even more.

Listening to a song like Gullible takes nearly half an hour. It requires attention and time. And, for a person not familiar with the band, it requires repeated spins in order for the song to grow.

So I’m not being judgemental towards the people who buy Now! Thats What I Call Music. It’s just that I personally prefer spending the time required to get into songs like GT.

I don’t know if this is edible for MP, but since I had children I’ve really come to appreciate the fact that I have an Ipod. It enables me to listen to MP and other great artists on the bus, in the car and numerous other places.

Because the stereo in my living room seems to have been taken hostage by the Smurfs…

I’m currently in the process of getting my daughter used to wearing headphones :)

However, she does seem to enjoy Super Furry Animals (particularly the smurfy vocoder songs) so I’m not complaining….that much.

:)

I love that album.

As far as mp are concerned, I know little about media coverage abroad. I guess that the coverage in Norwegian media has slipped a bit as well. I remember them getting 2 page gig reviews in the newspapers around the time of Blissard and AAAP. There was also a Norwegian music magazine with a less genre specific focus around the time (BEAT) who wrote about them quite often.

These days the more stable music magazines seems to be genre specific. Motorpsycho, I suppose, are not genre specific as a band, so they don’t really fit into any of the boxes required to give them coverage in, say, a metal magazine. However, I guess the music magazines are losing their momentum in general. It’s not the most important source of up to date information. It hasn’t been for a long time.

Motorpsycho could have focused on designing a fancy pants website and massively promoted their gigs and releases on the web. It seems that the band instead has channeled their DIY mentality into making great records and touring extensively to promote it. It’s an old trick. I guess it doesn’t expand their fan base, but it keeps the machine going, it maintains stability and the creative focus is kept on the artistic level as opposed to the business level.

I speculate that it’s how the band likes it. A more business oriented focus would perhaps make the band fragile, because it doesn’t seem to be in keeping with their philosophy regarding what music is supposed to be about.

In addition, this work ethic has resulted in the band relasing a whole heap of albums and doing extensive tours. They’ve pretty much maintained artistic freedom throughout, and they are still going strong.

Here’s me speculating again, but I’d consider that a success at a level that the band seems comfertable with.

Do you mean underestimated as underrated?

If so….

They generally have the reviewers on their side, and receive positive coverage on both albums and live shows. They’ve had major label backing for a long time, and are now releasing albums on a highly established and well renowned indie label.

Credibility-wise I don’t think that they are underrated at all. As far as album sales are concerned, I’m sure most people here agree that the band deserves a spot further up the album charts than where they reside. They’ve had some no. 1 albums in Norway, but that’s basically because most fans in Norway rush out to grab a copy of a new album on the day of its release… thus a major chart plunge usually follows.

On a more positive note, the band has one of the most dedicated fan bases out there, they seem to be selling enough albums and make enough money through touring to get by and keep doing what they are doing. In addition they’ve made their mark internationally (although in a relatively “small scale”) which is not a common thing for Norwegian artists.

So in my opinion they are far from the most underestimated/underrated band out there. I’d give that “prize” to someone else. Perhaps Aereogramme (although they too have received a fair share of positive reviews)…who have recently re-emereged as The Unwinding Hours. Have a listen to their album. They deserve the attention.

Oh… and keep supporting mp – that’s a given.

in reply to: Bare en tanke. #17344

Vokalen er nok ikke MPs sterkeste side, men jeg har blitt vant til den og kan, som andre også har påpekt, vanskelig forestille meg låtene deres sunget av noen andre vokalister.

Så jeg kan ikke si å ha reagert noe særlig på vokal-kvaliteten på de siste utgivelsene. Det er som forventet, og jeg liker det jeg hører. Det er kjent, kjært og akkurat som det skal være.

Det eneste unntaket er muligens BH/BC, hvor jeg følte at Bents vokal, pÃ¥ særlig de rolige lÃ¥tene, var litt i overkant pÃ¥ tur i ulednt terreng. Likevel vender jeg stadig tilbake til den cd’en, rett og slett fordi MP har en kollektiv kvalitet (selv med bare to medlemmer) som overskygger de individuelle vokal-prestasjonene.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994