Hovmod

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: The Great SETLISTS massacre! #15525
    Hovmod
    Participant

Juergen: Only Punch.

in reply to: (OT) Them Crooked Vultures #15575
      Hovmod
      Participant
        in reply to: NRK P3 – Decade’s best song #15726
        Hovmod
        Participant

I like both the Slow Phaseout and Neverland, but neither is the best song of the decade from any point of view.

in reply to: NRK P3 – Decade’s best song #15718
          Hovmod
          Participant

Hm. The slow phaseout WASN’T the best song this decade.

There are many songs in that list I like better.

Propaganda. Maestro. Bransjehora. Fuel for hatred. Even Eple is better.

Bad choice.

in reply to: The Christmas present from heaven (A double DVD) #15612
            Hovmod
            Participant

Yeah that really is a GREAT production, as near pro as anything ever gets.

Thanks a lot!

in reply to: The Great SETLISTS massacre! #15500
              Hovmod
              Participant

You guys are nuts. Thanks.

I was going to add “Space is the place” and “Faeries wear boots”, but then I thought that someone might have some more covers to add. Hey presto, there’s Juergen with not just a few. Mindblowingly silly yet infinitely satisfying lists, gents!

in reply to: Trondheim 18.11.2009 #15542
                Hovmod
                Participant

Hopefully I got it right this time.

Here you go: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=277863

in reply to: Trondheim 18.11.2009 #15541
                  Hovmod
                  Participant

Not to worry, guys – the recording is quite good, in fact.

After the first couple of songs it really clears up and from Greener the sound isn’t an issue. Plan #1 is awesome. 577 is flawless and possibly the best version ever. Snahisgod.

Not too much longer now. Should be up within a day or two.

Yes, Anders, we met in Bielefeld. And I appreciate the advice, but I don’t go to the gig to make a recording. I go to enjoy myself. If I can set it and forget it somewhere I’ll record. Results are what they are. In this case, not bad at all. :)

in reply to: Trondheim 18.11.2009 #15535
                    Hovmod
                    Participant

Yeah, there’s no sign of Giftland on my not too crappy recording… ;)

For me, Ozzylot was the low point, which kind of blew my mind because I really like Ozzylot and they played it well last night. But of course the set from Greener on through Taifun (including Diana for me) was one unbroken string of spitzenklasse Motorpsycho. Wishing Well was awesome, with some of the most cruisy guitar playing ever. Snah found every possible sound and mood last night, and the well balanced sound brought out every nuance in Kenneth’s playing as well, revealing breathtaking skills on the soft and jazzy side as well…

The sound really was great. Better in the room than on the Zoom, I’m afraid. I left the recorder standing in the back by the light console, and especially in the beginning it’s a bit muddy. I’ll see what I can do to clean it up. It has potential… I’ll need a few days though, don’t expect anything until next week at the earliest. I’m writing this from Schiphol on my way to Cape Town.

Every time I see them I have this feeling of being at the best concert by anyone, ever, but this may well have been the one. Top three at least, because it’s hard to demote the 96 and 97 tours…

in reply to: The 20th Anniversary Setlists #15218
                      Hovmod
                      Participant

Bielefeld: It’s SSIII.

in reply to: Deventer, Burgerweeshuis – 15.11.2009 #15257
                        Hovmod
                        Participant

Google translate ftw! “The abundant freakiness on drums and guitar or starts to lose its magic.

You can also exaggerate something natural.

But that simply belongs to the inappropriate attitude of rock Motor Psycho.”

in reply to: January new album!!! #14730
                          Hovmod
                          Participant

I so hope it doesn’t suck.

in reply to: Bent interview about COTF, tour, future etc. nov 2009 #15298
                            Hovmod
                            Participant

Quick and dirty:

10,000 vinyls sold

In a declining market Motorpsycho wins with their purist vinyl release.

A love/hate situation emerged when Motorpsycho released their last album “Child of the Future” (2009) on vinyl only. Now it seems you can’t diss the sales figures. About 10,000 units of the LP has sold, singer and bass plyer Bent Sæther says.

-Compared to reasonable expectations this has worked extremely well.

-So now we can expect more purely vinyl releases?

-I don’t know, we haven’t discussed it. We’ll see, that’s just how it is. We don’t have a plan. We make stuff up, and then we analyze it afterwards, Bent Sæther says, and summarizes:

-It happens when it happens the way it happens, and then we make up excuses for it later.

Three weeks on the road

Tomorrow Motorpsycho ends their 20th anniversary tour after three weeks on the road in Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Denmark and more (isn’t “and more” just Holland and Germany? translator’s remark). Sæther reports good atmosphere and large crowds. Several gigs were sold out.

-One guy came up to us and said he attended his gig number 100 in Berlin. There is a core of oldies following us, and some new ones arrive.

The trio has been forward-looking (grr) enough to use the tour for promotional interviews for the next album, which is to be released in January, throughout Europe.

-It’s good to start early. You do all sorts of stuff when you’re travelling like this.

-You’re not tired of it all after 20 years?

-No problem. We have routine enough to do this totally painless. As long as the band works as well as it does with Kenneth (Kapstad, who replaced the original drummer Gebhardt in 2007), it’s all good. We live to play as good music as we can, and when we’re in the form we’re in now it’s sheer bliss. We’re simple that way, we just play until our brains switch off and everything is instinct.

-Not when you’re writing new material?

-No, when we play live. To forget everthing you know and just play by instinct, to lose yourself in the music, that is the goal behind it all. For us, and hopefully for the audience.

-Have you had good concert experiences with other bands?

-The last two I can recall that were on top were Sun O))) who I saw in Holland a couple of years ago. That was fantastic. Music as physics, pure and simple. The other one was Atomic at Dokkhuset in Trondheim. Extremely good. Otherwise it’s far apart. When you’re in the business yourself, you’re hard to drag out. When you’re used to being on stage, it can get boring to see others. The stuff that’s farther away from what we do ourselves interest me the most. But I’m only speaking for myself. Hans Magnus (Snah Ryan, guitar player) saw Judas Priest and Iron Maiden and tilted completely. We’re all different.

Hard times

Despite 10,000 sold units, Motorpsycho is noticing the recession. Both in the general economy of concert goers and in the download-threatened record market.

-We make the cheapest productions we can, without relenting on quality. For now there’s no sense of crisis, but times are tough, Bent says, and is worried about the upbringing of the next music generation.

-It’s a bit like how the old capitalists know the price of everything but the value of nothing. We’re bringing up a generation that knows neither price nor value of anything. As a music fan this is frustrating. The ritual around playing a record that I grew up with doesn’t exist anymore.

-Does the future depend on making money by touring, playing more gigs?

-Yes, in a way. So long as people are willing to pay more and more to come and see. But club owners tell us that it’s harder to get people out. There’s less money in circulation.

Home to Svartlamon

Oh well, recession, but Bent Sæther seems in a good mood on the phone from the tour bus, which is on its way up Østerdalen back to Trondheim, where Motorpsycho end the tour for this time wednesday. Fittingly in Verkstedhallen, the new venue at Svartlamon.

-It’s as home as we can come. We have played back yard concerts there, and a gig against demolishing Svartlamon, but that’s at least ten years ago.

-What are you going to play?

-Don’t know. We have 70 songs to choose from, and decide on the playlist an hour before we enter the stage.

in reply to: Deventer, Burgerweeshuis – 15.11.2009 #15236
                              Hovmod
                              Participant

Thomas, that’s why I keep going every time I have the chance – every gig feels like it has to be the best ever!

Two more days for me now, and I thoroughly expect it to be better than Bielefeld, which was one of the best EVER! :D

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12699
                                Hovmod
                                Participant

Ulver.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 109 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994