bionaut

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 15.12.2023 – NO Byscenen Trondheim #42483
    bionaut
    Participant

Is there a recording on the way?

in reply to: Motortrades #42342
      bionaut
      Participant

@JOHNNY_HEARTFIELD it appears I can invite people to Motortrades. I need an email address to send.

in reply to: Motortrades #42333
        bionaut
        Participant

Dime is fine, and, for some people there is no technical obstacle. Spacebandit is correct that a simple donation removes any worries about ratio.

Motortrades is fine, and again, for some people there is no technical issue as it’s the same challenge as Dime in terms of bittorrent client, etc.

Having both sources for shows is fine with me. I don’t mind checking both for new shows, and both are, hopefully, not going to go away any time soon!

Still, it would be nice to consider a central source of information about shows that would benefit the community. I have been wondering whether it is possible to merge the MPDB.be WP site with this forum. I think there are opportunities to be had with a merger.

in reply to: Motortrades #42313
          bionaut
          Participant

You need the Zurich show. Believe me. Only seen on Motortrades so far.

in reply to: Mr Wulf #42279
            bionaut
            Participant

Well, I just downloaded two new MP uploads from Dime that were made by GratefulKlaus, and I am feeling very grateful!

Dime, and bittorrenting in general, works best with a computer that runs 24/7. Sometimes that’s an easy thing for someone to run, and sometimes it is not. We all have our circumstances.

I have been running a 24/7 setup for years, and my ratio on Dime is maybe 1.56.

I think what we are really discussing is how best to share these amazing recordings within our community. A central resource that is easily accessed is the best solution. Archive.org is a good solution, and another resource to consider is <http://bt.etree.org/&gt;.

Etree is great, especially if you are looking for Grateful Dead. That’s where I go for GD shows. It’s free, you don’t need an account. What’s not to like?

in reply to: Mr Wulf #42251
              bionaut
              Participant

I am happy to try.

in reply to: Mr Wulf #42243
                bionaut
                Participant

That’s right, there was talk of archive.org! That would be the best solution. Def time to ask again. Who can do the asking?

in reply to: Mr Wulf #42238
                  bionaut
                  Participant

Dime can be a bit frustrating. You have to wait to get in, and MP shows tend to fall off the tracker over time.

What about motortrades.org? It seems that site should be the repository of MP shows. There was a discussion a while back about motortrades being more in the spirit of the band than Dime.

One sends a request to join motortrades, and it seems to be processed reasonably quickly.

Currently, Mr Wulf shows are not on motortrades. Perhaps that should be corrected?

in reply to: other Bootleg-Exchange-Platform then Dime #40085
                    bionaut
                    Participant

Thank you for the history. I think honoring the intention of the original commitment is important, and it sounds like it is time to get input from the band.

Some thoughts…

I wonder if Motortrades can be enlivened with some additional community engagement.

I wonder if the band has an interest in exploring paid downloads like some other bands have done. Gov't Mule, for example. Maybe they have already worked out that the economics will not work. Maybe they do not want to go down that road for other reasons. Also, I have no idea what they have in their archive. I assume they have some number of shows they recorded that could be released as downloads.

In any case, it seems unwise to move forward on any project without a blessing from the band.

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #36740
                      bionaut
                      Participant

Got it about the artist field. Although I like fields for most everyting, this Tussler issue is above my pay grade.

On another note, I am interested in hearing more about how you could pull in Archive.org shows.

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #36737
                        bionaut
                        Participant

How hard would it be to add an 'artist' field?

in reply to: other Bootleg-Exchange-Platform then Dime #40080
                          bionaut
                          Participant

I just checked. I have tagged just under 6400 MP songs to this point. All of those tagged files are live shows. The job is not impossible w a good tool and a good workflow.

If the community decided to do this, then it would be a good practice to define a 'schema', which just means all files get tagged according to the same protocol (which info in which field). A good tagging software provides tools for batch processes including operations like transfer, append, etc. to make the project less oppressive.

in reply to: 2022-05-02 Hamburg Markthalle #39776
                            bionaut
                            Participant

Does anybody else hear The Magpie break down into a Michael Schencker Rock Bottom lead break in the middle section? I mean to say this with great respect, cuz I love it.

in reply to: Matrix recordings #40056
                              bionaut
                              Participant

Great topic. I will be listening to matrix shows more closely in the future.

I am just getting into the Bremen show w the single source from Dime. It sounds great.

I checked the matrix version for this show, and I am having issues with one file (Track 9, Like Chrome). I'll go through that version next w a more attentive ear.

in reply to: other Bootleg-Exchange-Platform then Dime #40078
                                bionaut
                                Participant

I am in favor of Archive.org as a long-term solution. If it's good enough for the Dead community, then I think that's enough said.

I download a shit-ton of music from Dime. The ratio issue is not relevant to me, but I understand that it is for many people. Dime is great, but it's kind of hard to weed through the latest Helios Creed flood, or whatever it might be, to focus on what you want to grab.

It would not be a bad thing for MP music to be properly tagged. Yes, it's a lot of work. I tag every show myself, and it takes time, but I just get into it. I am happy to engage w this project if help is wanted or needed.

At the end of the day, any BitTorrent solution relies on at least one person keeping a show alive for the future. I run a seedbox 24/7, and I hope to do so for another forty years. Hopefully, there will be others. With Archive.org functioning as the repository, I think there's a better chance of expanding the community into the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994