The Other Anders

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 281 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 14.10.2023 – NL, Zwolle, Hedon #42457
    The Other Anders
    Participant

So, I am back in Zwolle tonight. I was here in 2012 as part of the crew of Siena Root when they played at Eureka. I have never been to Hedon, but I remember an appreciative crowd, a love for the music and a dedication to the genre that tells me Motorpsycho will go down very well here. They also played Zwolle and Hedon once before, in 2017 during the Tower tour with Tomas and Kristoffer Lo, a quick search on mpdb dot be tells me.

I am hearing tonight’s concert through the very good to excellent recording of Tomcat. It positions me somewhere by the mixing desk area. Sound is clear and well balanced.

The acoustic part tonight has only Patterns from the new record. The rest of it is classics old and new, among them a cover of Blind Faith’s Can’t Find My way Home. I love this song, and while I don’t think Motorpsycho are able to pay it full justice, I still appreciate their rattled version.

One of the things that impresses me with this tour is the changing between electric and acoustic versions of quite some songs. One of those is Lady May. Tonight it is served in a beatiful acoustic version only two nights after a swirling electric version in Tilburg.

Now It‘s Time To Skate
      Patterns
      Can’t Find My Way Home
      Lady May
      Feel

On my Pillow is another one of the songs played both ways. Tonight it is electric and places itself somewhere between the acoustic versions and the Timothy’s Monster version, of course without the desperate, almost screamed vocals. Those have been gone for quite some years (decades?) already. The drama and intensity is still intact though. “If you find me please remind me who I am!”.

The Alchemyst (a discourse on transmutation, pennies dropping & the luminiferous aether) is the first motorpsychodelic takeoff of the night as they find themselves and remind themselves who they can be.

The already mentioned Lady May together with the opener of the elctric set Sentinels, and a couple of songs later Hotel Daedalus, form a trifecta of jazz, a tapestry of reoccuring themes binding the first half of the concert together.

The Alchemyst was an early omen, and the jazz goes to space inside the continuous quartet of Emperor Arne’s Lurking Spacetrips and Travails. Outer orbit reached!

Sentinels
      On My Pillow
      Serpentine
      The Alchemyst
      On A Plate
      Hotel Daedalus
      At Empire’s End
      Arne H
      Cosmoctopus
      Gullible

Back on Earth for encores, Bent asks if we are “ready for heavy metal”. First out of the gate is the tour premier Bartok, one of my 10 favourites from The Tower, and a song I would not expect anyone but Tomas to play. But Ingvald nails this one too, of course.

Bartok Of The Universe
      The Promise
      Inside Looking Out

I appreciate the “metal”, especially after such a spaced out main set, but I could also gladly have taken a trio of classics like Superstooge, Hogwash and Mountain, or one more trip to the sun-god’s palace in the east, had it been offered up.

All in all a very good concert, first jazzy then spacey, and then heavy rocking. How I wish I had been there together with you all. That, I am sure, would have made it great!

in reply to: 14.10.2023 – NL, Zwolle, Hedon #42456
      The Other Anders
      Participant

Test. My notes do not show up here.

in reply to: 13.10.2023 NL Utrecht – Tivoli Vredenburg #42432
        The Other Anders
        Participant

After the great concert in Tilburg the night before I have now arrived in Utrecht at Tivoli Vredenburg. This is where I saw my last concert with Geb back in 2004. I remember a special room with steep levels/stairs all around so that you can see really well from everywhere. It is intimate in the same way as Schlachthof in Bremen.

My fortune of once having been there combined with Bernie’s videos put me right back in the room, and this time we get an even closer look at the drummer through a neatly placed camera on the cymbal stand right in front of him.

In 2004 they ended with Loaded, as rare a tune back then as it would be today. Now, what’s in the bag for us tonight?
          Yet again I use Francesco’s recording for the songs that are not on video:

Patterns (sound)
          Now It’s Time To Skate (sound)
          Stardust (video)
          Sunchild (video)
          Feel (video)

Chariot of the Sun (video)
          Year Zero (sound)
          Hotel Daedalus (video)
          The Ladder (video)
          The Magic & The Wonder (video)
          The Tower (video)
          At Empire’s End (video)
          Upstairs/Downstairs (sound)
          Superstooge (video)
          Starhammer (video)
          Inside Looking Out (video)

August (video)
          Rock Bottom (sound)

The acoustic set contains a rare Stardust, only performed twice on this tour. The first being with Olaf in Halden, making this not only the only with Ingvald, but also the only recording we have of it from 2023. It was high up on my wishlist, and it’s a bonus that we now even have it on video.

Chariots contains a section with prerecorded(?) rythm patterns started and and stopped by Ingvald on one of his devices, it seems. Is this what the concerts in India might have sounded like?

Singing has been fine so far this night, but in an otherwise good Daedalus they go seriously out of tune, the song ends a bit messy. Anyway, it’s live and part of the charm!

The Ladder gets its tour debut, the first of only three performances.

No lacuna tonight, but no worries, the skronk is still with us, this time inside The Tower.

At Empire’s End has Ingvald adding a beautiful little solo on keys.

A short and effective Superstooge reaches a quick climax ended by Bent on maracas(!). Big smiles all around.

Starhammer has the quiet part with the singing brought back, like on the record. The jam is massive, and has a great buildup and bridge before the last verse.

The last three songs are all covers, great fun and a fitting end to yet another tasty set, a bit more hardrocking than the more mellow night before.

And compared to 2004? Well, as JERO said: “the son of Gebhardt”!. I think it sums it up perfectly.

in reply to: 12.10.2023 – NL, Tilburg, 013 (Next Stage) #42430
          The Other Anders
          Participant

This tour is already one of the best documented tours of the last 20 years, and I have already listened to most of the concerts through Wulf’s recordings since he was so kind and dropped his raw files within hours after each concert he recorded. That made for a very special tour in almost realtime for me not being able to go to as many concerts as I would have loved to.

Now Francesco’s recordings are being torrented on Motortrades, as well as more recorders of Hamburg, Oldenburg and Düsseldorf, among others. Working my way through the Ingvald leg of the tour again, I arrived in Tilburg last night. This tour started out good, and is getting better every night, and now we also have high quality video thanks to Bernie, something that takes the experience to a whole other level. Yes indeed, how lucky can a fan be?

Bernie’s videos have superior sound to the audience recordings, so where possible I watch the videos, while adding the missing songs from the best audience recordings available. That way Tilburg became a combination of Bernie’s videos and Francesco’s recording from first row center:

Real Again (sound)
            Patterns (sound)
            Can’t Find My Way Home (sound)
            Maypole (video)
            Now It’s Time To Skate (video)

The Alchemyst (video)
            Arne H (video)
            At Empire‘s End (sound)
            Sentinels (video)
            Hotel Daedalus (video)
            Lacuna/Sunrise (video)
            Lady May (video)
            Cornucopia (sound)
            Psychotzar (video)
            Inside Looking Out (video)

ASFE (video)
            Rock Bottom (video)

Arne H this time has a mellow spaceout and continues into the tour debut of At Empire’s End from Kingdom Of Oblivion leaving no room for applause between the songs.

Singing has been shaky so far this night, but the setlist is killer! I have grown to love Sentinels. The LP version does not live up to the live version. Just like My Best Friend, this song could develop into a jamming gem during the next tour after the summer festivals.

Absolute highligt of the night to these ears yet again a jazzy and skronky Lacuna/Sunrise. It’s remarkable how many ways they can play this song.

All in all a very good setlist, with a fair amount of special moments. In terms of rarities it includes the only Cornucopia of the tour as well as one of only four At Empire’s Ends and one of six Can’t Find My Way Homes. Videos have excellent sound and vision, seems to be a three (four?) camera job. Francesco’s recording is better or at least as good as my own recordings of Trondheim/Malmö/Copenhagen, the vocals drowning out a little bit, like they tend to in first row, but sound otherwise well defined and never overpowered or compressed during the loudest parts. Which is fantastic since he recorded almost the whole tour!

Special mention to Bernie for his efforts! I can see that the cymbal right in front of Ingvald was a challenge to you as well as it was to most of us! Yet you, or the person with the handheld, managed to catch his face every now and then. I love the camera work, and that the editing isn’t too fast. You give the watcher the possibilty to actually watch and take in what is happening on stage. I love it. How big is your team? The overview cam, the handheld and one or two fixed?

Anyway, I am already in Utrecht writing this. See you there after the concert!

in reply to: 23.09.23 – Verkstedhallen, Trondheim #42422
            The Other Anders
            Participant

Motorpsycho at Verkstedhallen & Lobbyen, Trondheim last night

Trying to post a link in clean text to see if it goes through. Behind it you find a some pictures from the concert.

in reply to: Motorpsycho – the Soothe session #42421
              The Other Anders
              Participant

Ok, links do not work very will on this forum. I see that we are in the Marketplace, so I suspect then, that someone has something for sale in FB. A quick search gave me a photo exhibition from 2022.

in reply to: Motorpsycho – the Soothe session #42419
                The Other Anders
                Participant

Is there a kind soul here who would like to share the knowledge with us who still have a profile on FB – but refuse to use it and should have deleted it long time ago but keep it because it is needed to keep Messenger, which we have tried to leave but most people in our circles of friends cannot be bothered to switch to the encrypted Signal which does not harvest and sell your info nor the stuff you talk about, nor does it monitor your devices – so that we can finally delete FB/Messenger?

A new release coming up?

I wish this forum can remain the primary source for all things MP. Dropping a few keywords together with the links would be highly appreciated. That way the info gets archived here and is searchable now and for the future.

Yay!

in reply to: Motorpsychodelicclips #42384
                  The Other Anders
                  Participant

Fair enough to slow down, even to take a break, but please don’t stop! It should not feel like work, though. To me, MP my longest lasting hobby, the soundtrack to my life. I feel so lucky to have a band like MP in my life. To be able to experience the concerts, to wait for new records with excitement, to travel to see the concerts, to dig and find, to record and share. They are the Pink Floyd of my lifetime.

I recorded three concerts this time. Trondheim, Malmö, and Copenhagen. I could not travel more to see more this time. The rest of the tour I experience through recordings and videos. It’s almost like being there. Almost.

I know about two other recordings of Trondheim. One will probably never be shared. The other probably will. We know about no recording from Uppsala, the first gig with Ingvald, but we have his second and third. I was there, and I invite everyone who was not able to witness it to witness it. As do you with the videos, Bernie.

I admire the work that goes into it. Preparing the equipment, bringing it, setting it up, being occupied with this before the concert, worry about the recordings, how they will turn out. Keeping an eye, being unavailable to people around you through the concert, packing and bringing it home. And now starts The Work! Plus the time and costs. So I really hope you can find a good balance, becuase your contribution to the community is valuable.

Being a Pink Floyd fan too, I am going through their whole live career in chronologic order, collecting and listening to every concert ever recorded. There is very little video, almost everything is audio. It is in it self fantastic how much exists, and how good some of the recordings from back then are, but more footage is sorely missed. Between Pompeii, recorded pre Dark Side in October 1971 and the Wall in 1980 there is not footage of one complete song, let alone a complete concert. All we have is 5-15 mins of 8 mm film snippets from some concerts. Not complaining, it’s what was possible at that time for the amateurs. And for reasons unknown, professional recordings were not made during the bands most classic period.

Do you see what I am getting at? You’re mainly the one archiving all of the beauty that is MP for us now, and for the archaeologists to discover far into the future!

I have recorded the sound of some 50-70, maybe 100 MP concerts myself, most of them from 1999-2006. I found it to be too much of a (Arnie’s) hassle for some years, but started recording again in 2019, as I regretted not having recorded especially Copenhagen 2017, which was my first concert with Thomas, and the bands second with K Lo.

The other day some new members om Motortrades started downloading my old recordings. Recordings I made more than two decades ago. That made me happy.

Every time I listen to a recording I send a thank you to everyone involved. The ones recording, sharing, making it available, so that I can sit here in my sofa and take in all this beaty, these World wonders of music, 50 years later or five days later. Or a week, or a few months later. That, my friend is just mind-blowing. It’s World heritage, and you help preserve it and make it available for generations to come to enjoy it.

in reply to: 27.10.2023 – DE Aschaffenburg Colos-Saal #42263
                    The Other Anders
                    Participant

Thank you! A wonderful read!

Makes me wonder if they could enter a new golden era a la the Geb era if they manage to keep Ingvald and do not confuse audiences now with ever-changing drummers and styles.

in reply to: 07.10.2023 – DK, Copenhagen – Hotel Cecil #42262
                      The Other Anders
                      Participant

Yes, a priceles little moment, Martn. Made me chuckle too.

I made a braindump here the day after the concert, but it disappeared when I made edits. Basically I thought, and still think the concert was too heavy on the heavy songs, I missed some breathers and more jams. The biggest take-away was that Ingvald already was very impressive, only three gigs in. Of the three a saw this time (Trondheim, Malmö and Copenhagen), Malmö was my favorite because of the well-balanced setlist including Babylon, Cosmoctopus, Lacuna, and long Nothing to Say incl. Mountain-jam.

Judging from the recordings from the rest of the tour, a new Roadwork would be justified!

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #42261
                        The Other Anders
                        Participant

And this one: https://mpdb.herebemonsters.network/

Still up but not updated. Just to say that both databases are valuable as they offer different approaches. I love the statistics page here (gap in concerts/song before/song after). It’s deliciously nerdy!

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #42260
                          The Other Anders
                          Participant

Is mpdb.space still a thing? I only get a “domain for sale” page…

in reply to: Mr Wulf #42259
                            The Other Anders
                            Participant

@dongonz: adandenco2 :wacko: yahoo :-) dk

in reply to: Mr Wulf #42258
                              The Other Anders
                              Participant

@bionaut: yes, back in 2016 it was easy enough to join motortrades.org, but when was the last time someone were able to join? We seem to be the same people for the last many years. The only one who can let new members in is “Jim”, and this person seems to have left the community. Tracker is still up and running, but who knows for how long? It’s a mystery to me, because someone must surely be paying to keep the domain?

Anyway, I share the frustrations if those who have problems with Dime. The ratio-thing is a pain, although I see Spacebandit’s tip that it is possible to pay instead. I was not aware of that. I just also discovered that using a VPN client can disturb torrents, so it also comes down to a matter of internet security. Lastly I do not have my computer on 24/7/365, so I need a bit of luck to catch everything, which is why I am so thankful for the wetransfers.

in reply to: Mr Wulf #42234
                                The Other Anders
                                Participant

Yes, thank you Wulf! I have wanted to say that many times.
                                  Thanks to everyone recording, mastering and sharing! It means a lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 281 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994