The Other Anders

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 281 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Witch concert should i go to this summer? #33047
    The Other Anders
    Participant

Qwck: A clarification, in case I was unclear: At Burg Herzberg they start playing at 00:45. The previous sets there have been around 90-100 minutes.

ThorEgil: That would count as a club concert, indeed! I would definitely go see it if I could.

in reply to: Witch concert should i go to this summer? #33044
      The Other Anders
      Participant

Qwck, if you are made of money, go see them in Molde. It is a good festival, I guess it will be indoors, and that they get a good, not too short slot there. I was there in 2002, great experience.

I myself prefer club concerts, so I will see them in Düsseldorf. I would not worry too much about the sound there. I have been there a couple of times, and I just move around a bit until I find a good spot. You should do the same. There is always good sound somewhere in a room (sound center) which you find by looking at the PA and noticing where it is pointing. Where the sound from the two speaker towers meet will usually be the best place to be. Also look for the sound booth. It is most often in sound center, as long as it is not placed at one of the sides or too far back.

I would also have liked to see the Burg Herzberg concert, but with a 130 Euro ticket combined with camping and a time slot of 00:45 in the night I opt out this time.

The Other Anders
        Participant

They indeed learned this the hard way through the Voices of Wonder experience, where they had signed the copyrights over to VOW.

After Demon Box they started publishing all their music through their own company Motorpsychodelic Tunes in order to keep their copyrights. As far as I understand they use licensing deals. A licensing deal usually limits the release for either a certain amount of copies, pressings or time, or a combination hereof, as well as for territory, so that the owners always keep control over their work and can take their business elsewere after the end of the deal, should they want to.

Their first releases with this model were the Wearing Yr Smell EP (Psychobabble 001) and Timothy's Monster (Psychobabble 002), both on Stickman in Europe, while in Norway TM was licensed to Harvest, an EMI sub-label. The next many records were licensed to Sony in Norway, until they changed for Rune Grammofon.

Speculation: This is probably why their records sometimes are out of print for a long time. The band need to initiate a new deal or prolong an existing deal each time a licene has come to its end.

in reply to: 'bout a MP's "Baker's Dozen"? #33008
          The Other Anders
          Participant

At some point we are bound to end up here (if not MSG, so elsewhere). Some of you might want to start saving up. :idea:

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32886
            The Other Anders
            Participant

I was in the first row too, just in front of Snah. Sound there was good, as we mostly heard the sound from the backline, which was rich, warm and pleasantly loud. I could hear Reine through the PA, and seeing him helped a lot. Then I could tell that he was actually playing a lot that was audible, for instance some mellow mellotron in Dream Home and a ferocious guitar solo in August, to mention but a few. It was probably hard to tell from further back in the room, though. Reine will play the upcoming Benelux dates.

Jamming highlights: Dream Home, August, Intrepid Explorer (seemed re-arranged somehow), Starhammer (skronk territory), Spin Hush Spin, H Mac > Back To Source, Manmower, The Tower.

Thanks all for an unforgettable day in Oslo! Just perfect in every way.

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32879
              The Other Anders
              Participant

Thanks, Devotional, you are absolutely right. Manmower added. The Sonata is there, just written as on setlist.

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32877
                The Other Anders
                Participant

Bartok

Dream Home

On a Plate

August

Cuckoo

Intrepid

Starhammer

Spin w/Hush snippet

Malibu

H Mac > Back to Source

Manmower

Sol på Sunnan (not played)

Ship of Fools

Taifun

Un Chien (not played)

The Tower

2h 35

Wunderbar!

in reply to: 1999-2002 audience recordings – suggestions? #32835
                  The Other Anders
                  Participant

1999-2002 must be the most well-documented period we have, audience recordings-wise. The band reached their all time high in popularity during this period, and they were very active, touring a lot.

I suggest you divide it into smaller, chronological portions for maximum listening pleasure.

1999 can be divided into before and after Baard Slagsvold joins.

Before Baard joins:

The trio pretty much continues the mood of the '98 tours. The core of the set is drawn from RW1, while darker songs not on RW1, like Evernine, Rad. Freq. 38.9 and Heartattack Mac, are exchanged for the new and up-tempo rock songs of Big Surprise, Heartbreaker, High Time, Star Star Star, and Glow. Step Inside from Demon Box gets a remarkable remake, and The Witch (The Rattles) is the new cover song of the spring tour. Towards the end of the summer tour we even get a tasting of Song for a Bro' and Tristano.

Recommended listening:

1999-04-14 Drammen. Has Heartbreaker, High Time, The Witch, Big Surprise, Step Inside, Glow.

1999-05-07 Eindhoven. Has a 45 min Un Chien, the longest documented to date.

1999-06-30 Ãœbach-Palenberg. Has Song for a Bro'-> Hogwash-> Tristano!

Additional listening:

1999-04-25 Braunschweig. Has far-out stand-alone Superstooge, Star Star Star.

1999-05-12 London. The best sounding audience recording from the tour. Safe setlist.

1999-07-03 Roskilde Festival. FM broadcast. 1 hour, rock power!

After Baard joins:

Back to quartet for the first time in four years, the band is heading in a new direction yet again, more pop and jazz and less droning. At least on record, and also live, at least to begin with. Their palette of styles of jamming is broadened with inspiration from early 70's American rock as well as jazz and even African-derived rhythms.

Baard is presented to the Norwegian audiences during five concerts in October (Oslo x2, Trondheim, Bergen x2). The revamped setlists are a ménage à trois of new songs (The Other Fool, Song for a Bro', In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (Allman Brothers Band), Tristano), most of the RW1 songs (Un Chien, The Wheel, You Lied, Black to Comm, Vortex Surfer), and a handful of old classics not heard in a while (Plan #1, All is Loneliness, The Nerve Tattoo, Manmower).

Recommended:

1999-10-15 Oslo. Has Song for a Bro', The Other Fool, In Memory of Elizabeth Reed, Un Chien.

Additional:

1999-10-23 Bergen. Rough sound, but very high jam factor. Psychonaut incl. Jin Go La Ba is unique and worth the price of admission alone. It's also interesting to hear how quickly Baard settles in and puts his mark on the music.

in reply to: Roadworks I-V !!! #32616
                    The Other Anders
                    Participant

He he! Funny one, TraktorBass.

I don't find the different versions of Neverland different enough to justify such an in-depth treatment, but I could see it done with for instance Go To California, if we're going to stay in the area, as it has gone through a lot of changes and different version through the years, everything from 3 minute versions to over 13. With keys, without keys, with jazz jams, space-outs, rock-outs… as Snah said one night during the Eastern Europe tour: Let's fuck it up!

A Box full of Californias? I'd buy that.

Equally interesting from that area is My Best Friend, this rather low-key, somewhat anonymous 4 minute song on the album, growing in to a jamming masterpiece of many different forms on stage, the longest we have on recording being 25 minutes. Not that length in itself tells if it is good or bad, but it tells you about development. A development that I see as a key factor in the attraction Motorpsycho has on me.

So, if we were to make RWs with only one song on them, I'd have a look at the jamming vehicles:

A Box full of…

Superstooges

Un Chiens

Manmowers

577s

Taifuns

Mountains

Heartattack Macs

STGs

Starhammers

Tristanos

Lacuna/Sunrises

Intrepid Explorers

Hogwashes

Arnie Hs

To mention my favorites among them.

Now, that could be an interesting series.

in reply to: Roadworks I-V !!! #32614
                      The Other Anders
                      Participant

Based on the circulating recordings from the tour, here is my take on a RW V track list:

A

Intrepid Explorer, Hannover (11:00)

In Every Dream Home, Hannover (11:00)

B

Manmower, Papenburg (09:00)

Heartattack Mac, Berlin (09:00)

C

Un Chien d'Espace part 1, Köln (21:00)

D

Un Chien d'Espace part 2, Köln (21:30)

E

Lacuna/Sunrise, Roncade (20:00)

F

Bartok of the Universe, Berlin (07:00)

The Tower, Köln (13:00)

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2018 #32244
                        The Other Anders
                        Participant

2018-04-14 NO Oslo, Røverstaden (sold out)

2018-04-17 BE Liege, Reflektor (tickets)

2018-04-18 NL Alkmaar, Victorie (tickets)

2018-04-20 NL Tilburg, Roadburn Festival (tickets)

2018-04-21 LU Esch-sur-Alzette, Out of The Crowd festival (tickets)

2018-06-08 NO Moss, Lyse Netter Festival (tickets)

2018-06-30 NO Stokkøya, Stokkøya Festival (tickets)

2018-07-21 NO Molde, Molde Jazz w/Kristoffer Lo and Ola Kvernberg (tickets)

2018-07-22 NL Leeuwarden, Welcome to the Village Festival (tickets)

2018-07-26 DE Düsseldorf, Zakk (tickets)

2018-07-27 DE Breitenbach am Herzberg, Burg Herzberg Festival (tickets)

2018-11-09/10 DE Wangels, Rolling Stoned Weekender (sold out)

2018-11-16/17 DE Rost, Rolling Stoned Park

in reply to: 2018-03-10 Timisoara Reflektor #32540
                          The Other Anders
                          Participant

The ones I talked to in Timisoara were new to MP, but they had checked it out when it was announced and brought their friends.. It was a strong local promoter with just the right club and audience. I would say 300-400 people. They were into the kind of music, and they were blown away. People were raving afterwards. "Fantastic", "absurd how good they are", and "I loved it" were among the comments from local people I talked to. They were used to the same stoner bands we know from our part of Europe, but had never seen anything quite like this.

in reply to: Vienna Arena 2018-03-06 #32514
                            The Other Anders
                            Participant

All my tickets have "The Tower tour" or even "The Tower release concert" printed on them, so no big surprise that the setlists mirror that.

in reply to: 2018-03-07 Budapest A38 #32516
                              The Other Anders
                              Participant

In further thoughts: Heartattack Mac in past live versions has been everything between close to the album version and 13-14 minutes. It has included the Back to Source part before, and also other teases, like Waiting for my Man in '98.

Fall '17 it started out fairly close to the original version, but developed into a 10 minute "mini suite", or so I thought of it. How cool would it not be if they gave it a K9 treatment. Which I think is what happens on this tour. Both versions (Vienna and Budapest) were around 14-15 minutes, and with great variety to the improvisations. Easily the core part of the concert for a jam head like me.

Other jamming highlights to these ears: Intrepid Explorer, Manmower, Taifun and The Tower.

in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2018 #32229
                                The Other Anders
                                Participant

Will do my best in Vienna, Budapest, Beograd and Timisoara.

I won't go to Ljubljana. Do we have someone going there?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 281 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994