Devotional

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 144 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 2018-09-29 Union Scene, Drammen, NO #33530
    Devotional
    Participant

I would probably have cried with joy if that (Pooneil) happened, but yes, extremely unlikely. «The Wheel» and «Taifun» seems possible, though. And maybe a first «S.T.G.» for Punj Lizard? Regardless, I’m ready for some amplifier worship tonight, to put it in Boris’ words.

in reply to: 2018-07-26 DE Düsseldorf, Zakk #33173
      Devotional
      Participant

@Punj Lizard, I've been following your beautiful transition into a full blown psychonaut, and I'm so glad you got to experience "The Wheel". I believe you've already been K9'ed, so now I just dearly hope that you get to experience "The Golden Core", "Vortex Surfer" and "Plan #1" (in order of importance). Sail on, my friend!

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #32066
        Devotional
        Participant

You're absolutely right, @supernaut. There is no "Step Inside Again"-part in this "Demon Box". Was it edited out (I don't have the boots to compare)? They did it at Slottsfjell, and I see it listed at setlist.fm too. Hm.

They also rearranged "All Is Loneliness" for the Rockheim-shows (as @otherdemon pointed out) – for the better imho. The Slottsfjell-version was closer to the album-version, but just didn't work as well that night.

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #32050
          Devotional
          Participant

@Flippern, I haven't compared it to anything at home, but it sounded absolutely majestic at Deichman. Performance-wise, it is stunning, bordering on ridiculously great at times. I already think that some – possibly many of these versions top their album counterparts.

Compared to Slottsfjell, I'd have to say that it is less energetic overall (especially the title track, which is almost meditative and beautiful here), but that doesn't matter, because this is much more musical. There aren't many big jams, because there just wouldn't be time for that. Some of the transitions, such as from "Tuesday Morning" to "All Is Loneliness" are incredible, but the performance is more about the focus and precision than the psychedelic twists and turns. The arrangements are quite conservative, but so tasteful. Everything feels very much thought through, and there isn't a sloppy moment to be found. They obviously knew they were being recorded, which I'm sure affected their playing for better (focus) or worse (energy), and the cameras are very present. Kenneth in particular addresses the cameras, and pulls faces several times.

The encores "Fleshharrower" and "Home of the Brave" have more of a Slottsfjell-edge to them, and are both big highlights for me.

I still can't believe this was actually released. Such a gift. I couldn't be happier, and can't recommend it highly enough!

in reply to: Roadworks I-V !!! #32701
            Devotional
            Participant

@Halitosis, it is very possible that RW I & II were not remastered, and they may even have used the same lacquers as the original pressing(s). They could have made the vinyl mastering available digitally, of course, but that was never technically tailored for the digital domain, as opposed to the box sets, and getting Helge involved for that one extra track was likely considered a non-priority at this point. Maybe we'll see a RW digital box set sometime in the future?

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32899
              Devotional
              Participant

Thanks, otherdemon, and wow. I'm definitely not to be considered a trusted source after this. Glad Lars came up with the evidence!

JERO, I like your reasoning. :)

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32896
                Devotional
                Participant

Ha, this is strange. The friend I was with also remembers "The Maypole", so at least I'm not losing my sanity alone – if it really wasn't played. And that part of the sonata (which I too am now convinced is the "actual Malibu") was played a lot later (after "Manmower"). A collective case of Motorpsychosis going on here? :)

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32894
                  Devotional
                  Participant

Thanks for clearing that up, BUT they played the part of "The Maypole" that I thought was "Malibu", so I guess we should add "The Maypole" to the setlist then.

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32891
                    Devotional
                    Participant

No, "Malibu" is part of "The Maypole", and was definitely played. The Sonata was played after "Manmower" (in place of "Sol på Sunnan").

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32880
                      Devotional
                      Participant

Ah, I see! :)

Interesting that they had planned to do Un Chien. Bent told the crowd that they were tired, and only had energy left for one more song when they returned for the encore.

I was in the front row and had a fantastic time, but I'm sure the people in the back had a bit of a struggle seeing the band. Bent asked at one point "Do you see anything?", to which the crowd responded with a resounding "NOOO!" Bent smiled and said that they weren't much to look at anyway, so it's OK. A totally false statement btw, as both him and Snah were bundles of energy tonight. Oh, and Tomas was flawless. Had trouble hearing him over Snah's Hiwatt's at times, but his playing was brilliant.

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32878
                        Devotional
                        Participant

[Obsolete post]

in reply to: Oslo Røverstaden 14.04.18 #32876
                          Devotional
                          Participant

I was surprised (and happy) to see Reine there. Saw him thursday in a bar in Trondheim (he was still there when I left).

[Update – see Anders' set below]

Highlights were "Intrepid Explorer" (a personal live-favourite), "Heartattack Mac" (mind-blowing – MUCH better than at Konserthuset, and "Back To Source" had a fantastic and quite melodic psych-jam), "Ship Of Fools" (just incredible energy) and "Taifun" (insanely good – absolutely God-like). I'm also glad they played "A Pacific Sonata" – one of my favourites from The Tower.

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #31956
                            Devotional
                            Participant

All three nights were filmed, so there is a chance for «Fleshharrower» AND «Home of the Brave» (!). That would be a dream. I used to be angry at myself for not filming more at Slottsfjell, but now I’ll be able to watch MP play «Gutwrench» on blu-ray! What a gift!

in reply to: A Boxful of Demons #31942
                              Devotional
                              Participant

This could be absolutely sensational! The mind boggles!

in reply to: 2017-09-27 Landmark, Bergen #30843
                                Devotional
                                Participant

Woah…! Amazing setlist! Easily the best of the tour so far. I get goosebumps from just looking at it…

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 144 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994