dinopsycho

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: sound quality MP show #20480

The Effenaar is a tough place to mix live shows at, partly becaus of the way the room is built and how the stage is located. Once you manage to adjust the sound accordingly, the venue has great sound. Same goes for the Zakk club.

in reply to: [misantropy] things the dutch should know #20413

I witnessed some of the worst crowd behaviour EVER at the Osnabrück show yesterday. I don't get it. It perplexes me that people buy a 23 Euro ticket and chat all the way through the show, all while the band works their asses off for 2 + 1/2 hours.

Bad manners are everywhere.

in reply to: Osnabrück 18.10.11 #20497

Yes, awesome show, I thought it was much better than Duesseldorf, and the sound was superb.

And, yeah, Iron Hores IS the Motorhead song.

But:

W H Y

D O

P E O P L E

T A L K

S O

M U C H

D U R I N G

S H O W S

? ? ? ? ! ! ! !

Seriously: this was the worst audience I have EVER witnessed at a M'psycho show.

People in front, behind, next and "über" me were talking LOUDLY during the whole show, even chatting all the way through the quieter "space" sections and during Vortex Surfer they decided to party…. it was awful.

I mean…. WHO ARE YOU ?! Didn't your parents teach you any manners ?!

in reply to: Düsseldorf 17/10/2011 #20454

Year Zero, Starhammer, Hogwash and all the encores I really liked.

But there were a couple of things I didn't like:

1st of all, I was still at my car when they started at 8:15 pm (!!!!). What about those people that have to work until 8 and need at least 30 minutes to get to the venue from work ? Come on, this is Dusseldorf….

A 8:45 start would have been ok, too.

2nd, I thought the new song was boring, generic stuff. But that's just my impression.

3rd, the sound was awful. There was a nasty 300 to 4 khz frequency mess, and the overall sound was terribly boomy. The PA was set up in a 45 degree angle to the stage lip, the actual PA speakers FACING each other (!), which might make sense when you are standing dead center in front of the stage, but it just doesn't work when you are standing on the far left or right to avoid crowd chatter.

in reply to: Neil Young + Motorpsycho #16113

I wonder what a Motorpsycho-take on “Cortez The Killer” would sound like…. ;-)

in reply to: slam magazine #47 – german #15868

She might be singing here and there, but you hardly notice it as it’s only background vocals….

in reply to: Apples, Oranges, Peaches and Melons! #15797

I’d never call Heavy Metal Fruit a “prog-rock” effort. It’s not heavy metal, either. It’s a fucking Motorpsycho album, and a good one ! I cannot really compare this to any other Motorpsycho release, it has elements of every album they put out so far yet at the same time nothing sounds really unfamiliar. Some of the impros and instrumental sections have a slightly “jazzy” touch, similar to the jams on the recent tour. The drum sound is really special on this one: flat sounding, 70s style drum mix with a dead sounding, low-tuned snare…. but it’s cool. One of the songs sounds A LOT like Black Sabbath’s “A National Acrobat”. It’s all very 70s sounding….

in reply to: The Christmas present from heaven (A double DVD) #15628

The DVD has an aspect ratio of 16:9 – 720×576 picture quality AND uncompressed stereo PCM audio (!)] AND is available for free. Made for fans by fans w/the bands’ blessing. Uploading it on yootoob would require to compress the original format and thus ruin the quality. Don’t people worship quality anymore ? Let’s discuss ! :-)

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12703

Oh, and I forgot Steve Miller ! :-)

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12702

Well, that’s pretty much what I listen to ….

in reply to: is there any more music out there? #12701

Sebadoh

Dinosaur Jr

Awesome Color

Earthless

Captain Beefheart

Red Krayola

Neil Young

Jimi Hendrix

Jesu

Sunn O)))

Boris

Blue Cheer

Dead Meadow

Cream

Black Sabbath

Witch

Bardo Pond

Fiery Furnaces

Sonic Youth

Pavement

Polvo

John Fahey

Leo Kottke

My Bloody Valentine

Flipper

Black Flag

Minutemen

Minor Threat

Amon Duul

Can

Animal Collective

in reply to: Brussels Gig #14213

Vortex, just seed the original 256kbps mp3 file “as is” (without breaking it into tracks) from your SD card and things should be fine. Email the dime mods >before< if you have any questions. They are usually VERY helpful….

in reply to: Brussels Gig #14201

Wait, just a second, let’s set this straight – dime does in fact allow mp3-sourced material if the original recording was recorded in that format (Vortex’s master is in 256kbps mp3, right ?). What dime does NOT allow is mp3->wav->flac->back-to->wav->mp3->wav->flac. Because that way you’ll introduce a 2nd mp3 conversion that while radically reduce the sound quality from the 1st conversion.

I understand that this is complicated tech-talk that seems hard to explain and is difficult to communicate to some people. Heh ! ;-) I guess the whole thing was a misunderstanding in the first place do to a language barrier that caused a slightly complicated info file that was then posted on dime.

Vortex is right: if he would have said “I recorded this on my super-uncompressed digital 24 track 24/96 monster stereo soundmachine in wav-format” nobody would have complained and everybody would be really excited about the amazing quality of his recording ! :-)

I, personally, am no fan of mp3 (I have good ears and I *belive* that I know how to use them), but this is nothing that we should fight about. It’s all about the music in the first place.

All respect goes out to Vortex who managed to carry his gear into the venue and to capture the Motorpsychodelic-magic at the Botanique that night….

in reply to: Brussels Gig #14192

If you started running the torrent >before< the ban, you might be lucky….

in reply to: Brussels Gig #14190

OK. Vortex, if you need any help, let me know. I’d be happy to help you out.

First of all, what software did you use to split the recording into individual tracks ?

First thing to do is convert the original 256kbps mp3 into wav. But I guess you already know this. If you’re using a pc/windows based computer, CDWAV is the most common software that tapers use to create trackmarks: http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

After you have split the recording into individual tracks all you need to do is convert the wavs into flac (I figured that the classic flac frontend works best for this: http://flac.sourceforge.net/download.html – Trader’s Little Helper is a nice tool for this, too: http://tlh.easytree.org/ – works for decoding mp3 to wav and encoding wav to flac as well).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994