RvL

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: ALBUMCUP 2010, FINAL! #18260
    RvL

Roger Waters started a wall-tour this week in Toronto:

It’s quite clear which MP-album the pig prefers:

http://www.pinkfloydz.com/roger2010/sep15toronto/images/008.jpg

in reply to: Leizpig, Conne Island 07-06-2010 #17516
      RvL

I always thought of MP as a sympathetic, likable band.

Especially Geb used to contribute to the image/feeling.

It probably is one of the reasons why it’s always a pleasure seeing them.

But now, reading about Bent’s action, I can’t help but feel quite disappointed..

(long live the internet..! :-/)

in reply to: Effenaar 23.05.10 #17092
        RvL

> I second RvL, although my favorite period is pre pop-phase.

..If I’d seen more in that period I’d probably agree. Unfortunately I only saw 2 proper gigs in the pre-pop-phase. And in the pop-phase it were often the old songs that were the highlights..

(and I liked Bard’s sounds)

in reply to: Effenaar 23.05.10 #17087
          RvL

My 22nd gig in 14years time.

Well, my feelings after the gig:

+ Mountain (!) :-)

+ some of the other oldies (shrug, chien)

+ snah back on keys for the first time since 99?

– singing

(damn, GT was just ‘tenenkrommend’/embarassing at times)

Snah seemed to get better and better singing since 2008, bit this gig was just..

– the new songs did not do it for me live.

(maybe because of the singing, the excellent production of (and keys on) the album,

but the songs live could not compete with the album versions. They couldnt pull

them off in my view)

– too few melodic parts for my taste. (my favourite live-shows were in the pop-era I

think)

I really hope MP will become more song-orientated in the future (but it doesn’t seem

so). I like to see MP spacing/jamming, but I also like tight, arranged songs (like

Shrug in this gig..)

Let’s hope the oya-gig will get them more in that direction.

– I miss the video-projections. They gave MP gigs always a little something extra.

– the encores must’ve been the weakest encore-set I’ve ever seen by MP. Really.

– I am getting probably more critical about mp every gig..

MP used to do the best gigs, but only this year I’ve already seen a few more better gigs by others..

in reply to: Streaming Snah – Interview #16424
            RvL

My guess is it was recorded in Het Patronaat in Haarlem, judging from the dutch-accent interviewer and the setting.

in reply to: Heavy Metal Fruit lyrics #16033
              RvL
                in reply to: Heavy Metal Fruit lyrics #16031
                RvL

> Some interesting links:

nice stuff.

random thought: apart from the obvious Gulliver’s Travels, Gullible’s Travails is almost literally what Bent said about the new album sometime ago: an excercise in bluntness (or something like that).

in reply to: Neil Young + Motorpsycho #16121
                  RvL

you can add:

“When you dance I can really love” – As TITS, Tivoli, Utrecht, xx.xx.2004

very nice hearing that song then. great gig too. great atmosphere in the room.

in reply to: MOTORPSYCHO TOUR – MAY 2010 #14419
                    RvL

sunday 23-05-2010: effenaar, eindhoven, NL

tickets: €20,-

http://www.effenaar.nl/event.php?e_id=1575&PHPSESSID=1112aaba8ebd4b55e16781d7e49acd17

see ya there :-)

in reply to: The Great SETLISTS massacre! #15482
                      RvL

Way cool! 8)

Addition/comment:

Someone pointed out not so long ago, that the ‘unknown new song’ that was played as opener at the Haldern pop festival in 2006 (and some other summer/fall dates in 06) was actually a forerunner of ‘child of the future’. Can someone verify?

in reply to: Cologne 06.11. #14064
                        RvL

Thanks a lot Surftex, and other dimers who put up their recordings of other shows.

I am pleasantly surprised with the Köln-recording. Sound is definitely better on recording than what I could hear being there. It’s just a pity I couldn’t get into the whole gig.. Oh well.

@red mosquito: about the Utrecht audiences: Maybe we can use some of the cloth of ‘Little Lucid Me’ and stuff some mouths with it.

(although i must say, last time in tivoli, spring 2008, I wasn’t bothered with much talking around me, the audience was loud though, when the show was over people kept screaming for more for a couple of minutes, quite an extraordinary moment) Enjoy Deventer!

…Chatty people can be a problem at dutch gigs. In the late nineties the Effenaar-crowd too was quite a pain at MP gigs.

in reply to: January new album!!! #14711
                          RvL

>> I can’t wait to hear Motorpsycho with a girl!

> Listen to Sunshild from the first Tussler, beautiful.

And don’t forget Timothy, disc 2, track 4. :-)

> I have this vague memory of seeing them live with a girl on stage at Uffa. Anyone know > which gig?

Maybe a Tussler gig?

in reply to: Cologne 06.11. #14046
                            RvL

Another voice…

Last Friday was my _20th_ MP-gig, first (and last?) this tour.

Drove from Eindhoven to see the gig and have a two day stay in Koln.

I am a bit surprised reading all the above comments.

The point I’d like to make:

What a **TERRIBLE** concert hall gebaude 9 is! F*CK!

Most of the past shows of MP I’ve seen in places like the Effenaar (old & new), Tivoli, Paradiso, 013 and festivals (tents and outside). And these Dutch places all are way better IMHO!

So Whot’s Uh the deal…:

– Gebaude 9 is a very narrow and deep hall. (“Pijpenla”) (first part of the gig I was on the left at the back, last part near the entrance of the room back-right <just before before the steps leading up to the mixing desk>).

– The room was way overcrowded!! (sold-out shows in NL do not seem to be so crowded)

– The air was hot, sweaty (smelly people!), quite oppressive.

– *Some* people in the crowd were sometimes very chatty (an asshole talking all through up-down, and then at the end of the song yelling ‘bravo!’ to the band, what an *sshole!)

– People going to get drinks in the next room (no bar in the concert room??) carelessly and rudely bumping into other members of the crowd.

– IMHO, and this where I have to disagree with other reports, the sound was *FAR* from perfect! … From where I stood at least. The balance seemed quite okay maybe, not too clear at times and the room resonating at certain frequencies (in the alchemist, some ground tone bass notes were very dominant, others inaudible) and all sounds sounded very much far away to me.

All these circumstances mentioned here caused that I could only be an observer to the gig. I was there in the hall, but could only attend the concert and hear motorpyscho play in the front of the room. BUT there was no way I could EXPERIENCE the concert and the music of Motorpyscho.

For me, Motorpsycho live should be and usually is an experience! Not this time. And that sucks pretty hard.

About the music/the band:

Allthough I could not enjoy the concert very much, I heard they are in form and were sometimes doing very well:

Where they got to in Manmower was remarkable! Snah was on fire, 577 seemed to be a very good one and the highlight of the evening: KDH! what mayhem! (the only song I had a BIG grin on my face after having decided that I’d just have to forget about the whole gig)

There were also weaker parts, heard them sing a lot better, but then again also a lot worse. Singing part in alchemist for example was not too good. Some transitions sounded sloppy sometimes. Sometimes things sounded a bit too rough for my taste (the chord-riff for Cornucopia I could only distinguish from the rhythmic way it was played, The chords sounded all the same and very noise like)

Anyway, at the end of the gig and it being not a good experience… I was actually glad the sampler died and they couldn’t do the magical TGC. (My beautiful memory of the one time I saw them do the song in 2000 remains)

So all this makes me wonder:

– Are all concert halls in Germany/abroad this bad? (maybe some people who have seen more concerts (some people on the magic bus?) can say something about this?

– Am I becoming an older grumpy man? (..who does seem to have more and more difficulty in experiencing concerts in general.. and more and more becoming an observer at gigs.. Oh well… )

– Should Motorpsycho be (and are they in a position to be?) more critical about the places where they perform?? If they are so concerned about what and how things are being released shouldn’t they be more critical about the places they play?

Because them playing in such a place did not feel like good advertisement for them!

– Are there people who have been to the Burgerweeshuis? What’s it like? How is the sight & sound?

I’d like to know what some of you think. Thanks for reading..

RvL

in reply to: The roots of Motorpsycho #13140
                              RvL

I always thought ‘A Saw Sage Full Of Secretion’ was a variation on

Pink Floyd’s: ‘a Saucerful of Secrets’

About ‘whole lotta diana’: I think it’s like with what mp said about ‘hey jane’, beatles did hey jude, hendrix hey joe, etc.. so we did hey jane.

in reply to: (totally off-topic) Dungen #12947
                                RvL

I saw a band at festivial Mundial in Tilburg recently doing a very good show.

I said to a friend of mine: “I saw this band and it was problaby the best discovery of a band making psychedelic music since I discovered Dungen” (which was around 2 years ago).

The band is called “Dengue Fever”.

From wiki: Dengue Fever is a six-member band from Los Angeles who combine Cambodian pop music and lyrics with psychedelic rock.

If you’re into 60s psychedelic pop check them out. (during the live-gig I was sometimes thinking of the kind of happy-Syd-Barrett-Floyd-like-sounding stuff)

They sound a bit more poppy than Dungen though.

http://www.myspace.com/denguefevermusic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994