bionaut

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: 2022-05-24 Bielefeld Forum #39985
    bionaut
    Participant

I am checking Dime every minute from now until :)

in reply to: 2022-05-24 Bielefeld Forum #39983
      bionaut
      Participant

That is an insane setlist. Praise be to Spacebandit.

in reply to: 2022-05-24 Bielefeld Forum #39979
        bionaut
        Participant

Please tell me someone recorded this.

in reply to: Short interview with Bent for laut.de #38557
          bionaut
          Participant

OK, follow up on my post from an hour ago. I tried reading backward, and that was worse. This whole thread makes no sense. It is not a good idea for this community to tear itself apart. It's Hogwash.

I tried to make sense of anyone's argument, and I really can't do it. The bottom line is that the human being is now engaged in the world's first

clinical trial on this scale. We will learn a lot from this experiment. I suppose one could make the interesting point that in this trial, people are allowed to choose the placebo.

If someone referenced an actual peer-reviewed paper in this ten-page thread, please let me know. I am not interested in opinion pieces.

So far, the scientific community appears to be doing an excellent job of sorting this out. It takes time for the process. If you have chosen the vaccination route, good for you. If you have chosen the non-vaccination route, good for you. Together, we will discover the answer.

in reply to: Short interview with Bent for laut.de #38556
            bionaut
            Participant

This is a fascinating thread. I read forward for the first three pages. Now, I realize I need to read it backward. I have a few initial comments.

One, I def think this is a fine thread for the forum. If you don't wanna read it, then don't. No prob.

Two, I think Bent was just expressing honesty. What's wrong with that? He's probably frustrated about his life being disrupted by COVID. As for the Trump and alt-right part, well, more honesty. I am sure he's not being literal in his statement. Just listen to the lyrics of records since Trump was elected. He's engaged. Frankly, I am shocked to hear people who have probably followed Bent for decades be dismissive of his thinking so quickly. That is fucked up!

Three, a shout out to the horseshoe crabs. Here in the New World, June 24 is Horseshoe Crab Appreciation Day.

in reply to: Blitz November 24th #39427
              bionaut
              Participant

I listened to a recording of this show yesterday. This is the first MP show that has inspired me to immediately listen to again. I think it's the Hell jam that is the hook. It's so good. I am on my third spin this morning.

in reply to: Five-Star MP #39050
                bionaut
                Participant

These replies are all great. I love it!

K9 is probably the most interesting MP song for me. The Bremen show from 2017-10-22 is one of five versions that currently have five stars in my collection. How can you pick one? I can not!

in reply to: The Light Fantastic #36061
                  bionaut
                  Participant

I am so happy about MP on Bandcamp! Yes, I love vinyl, but this is the right platform for me for a variety of reasons (limited budget, shipping to USA, and I only listen to digital these days for logistical reasons). I was actually composing an email to the band yesterday to ask what is the best download method from their perspective, which would put the most money in their pocket, and then this emerges. Perfect! I hope they put their whole catalog up :)

in reply to: Motorpsycho Lyrics #37235
                    bionaut
                    Participant

This is a great question @Hans Boller!

I listen to the music first almost always. I think this is true, because I rarely hear the lyrics clearly at first. When I start to really like a song for its music, I might begin to work on understanding the lyrics. When the lyrics match, enhance, or even transcend the music, then I am in awe.

With Motorpsycho, I am finding that their lyrics are always better than I originally imagine, and that they also resonate for me as an individual. Songs like 577 and Heartattack Mac transcend the music.

577 is painfully evocative of the experience of an idealistic person living through teenage years. I went through all of that. I once wrote a song titled, "Fourteen". 577 covers that feeling and walks it forward with beautiful economy. Incredible.

Heartattack Mac blows my mind, because the lyrics are even more raw and primitive than the music, which is something I would not have imagined. I had quite a few friends ride the horse, and I love the way HM strips all the 'glamour' away.

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #36697
                      bionaut
                      Participant

Having discovered MP late in the game, prob about 2011, I have been taking time lately to dig into older shows with fresh ears. I am working at home and listening to live shows on proper audio gear. It's been great.

I would love to note some observations, and I wonder if the gig discussion feature on the MPDB is going to be a thing. I'm not seeing any engagement so far. What do people think? For example, the Heartattack Mac > I'm Waiting for the Man from Reutlingen 1998 is insane.

in reply to: Stay-inside recommendations #37228
                        bionaut
                        Participant

I fucken love the Sin After Sin recommendation. Priest is top of the list for me as long as we are talking about the first few records. The great thing about the SAS record is Simon Phillips' drumming. The best drummed metal album of all time. I saw them in NYC the summer of 1977 on that tour. The last time they played in silk stage costumes. Fucken excellent. Blackout in NYC that night. We got stoned and ran around in the dark after the show until we found an open record store and bought Sex Pistols 45's.

Anyhoo, my stay-inside recommendation is William Burroughs reading Masque of the Red Death…

Basil Rathbone might even be better.

in reply to: The Golden Bore #37079
                          bionaut
                          Participant

@Punj Lizard: Thank you for the Chomsky article link. I know people here have mixed views on his thinking, and why not? He's had a lot to say over a long period of time. Still, he's pretty much on the money. The USA is a shitshow, and only a fool would say otherwise. That is not to say that the people in this country are not incredible, because they are. It's the creme de la crap that somehow rises to the top. We're a cautionary tale.

in reply to: New Music #34789
                            bionaut
                            Participant

I imagine many here know about Kikagaku Moyo, and I just want to point out a fantastic recording available at NYCTaper. It's a soundboard feed matrixed with top-notch audience feed. NYCTaper produces the best recordings. His recordings are typically SBD/AUD matrixes always made with permission from the band. His site is a great resource for finding new music, because he records a wide range of bands. Free downloads, no account required…

http://www.nyctaper.com/2019/11/kikagaku-moyo-november-15-2019-warsaw/

in reply to: New King Buffalo EP #37192
                              bionaut
                              Participant

King Buffalo is good.

in reply to: The Golden Bore #37076
                                bionaut
                                Participant

@Punj Lizard: Thank you for the references!

To all: I am working to educate myself further, and I realize that my initial reference to Chomsky was unhelpful for this debate.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 67 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994