Great King Rat

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 234 total)
  • Author
    Great King Rat
    Participant

I agree with the criticism of Gebäude 9. It was my first concert there and I also think it’s too narrow and too long. Yet I still found the sound quite good, at least where I stood, just in front of the soundman.

There are really good venues for concerts in (northern) Germany, though: The Forum in Bielefeld is a nice place (and MP shows there are traditionally very good), one of the best venues imho is the Schlachthof in Bremen where I’ve seen the best MP concert ever (for me)! I haven’t been to Hamburg this tour but I know the Ãœbel&Gefährlich which is a great venue.

Concerning the crowd in Köln i agree with you, too. People were a lot chattier than in Bielefeld, and the fact that you had to get out to get drinks certainly didn’t help. I also thought it was overcrowded which was a pity! They could easily have sold double number of tickets, at least in Köln. I can see why they tend to play smaller clubs, usually you get a much more intimate atmosphere in smaller places. Yet, if that’s what they want they should opt for a different place than the Gebäude.

in reply to: Snah songs #13996
      Great King Rat
      Participant

On this tour he also sang some “Bent-songs”:

Kill some day (Bielefeld)

Cornucopia (Bielefeld & Köln)

in reply to: January new album!!! #14665
        Great King Rat
        Participant

Great news! Do you think the title means that they look at heavy metal in a somewhat milder way than they used to? Consider the first roadworks title… Anyway, I always had a soft spot for metal, so I’m really looking forward to that fruit! :MPD:

in reply to: @ which moment in time R U a Psychonaut? #14654
          Great King Rat
          Participant

I don’t think it’s about the number of shows you’ve seen… I’ve always considered all fans of MP to be psychonauts. There’s not a huge number of us anyway, and all the fans I got to know are just passionate and loyal followers. I think that’s what it is about, hanging on to the trip you’re on…

in reply to: Cologne 06.11. #14041
            Great King Rat
            Participant

“Kill Devil fuc*in Hills (massive power jam version)”

Haha, excellent, Thomas! I was planning to post the setlist as well (you were faster though), and I was thinking to write EXACTLY THE SAME about KDH! What a monster! Best thing was when they sort of came to an end after the long jam (people started clapping and cheering) but then went on for another minute of mayhem.

“yeah, that was really fantastic, a perfect completion to the “pop” concert in bielefeld…”

Absolutely, Chien! It was a pure rock show, I was quite exhausted afterwards…

Some notes about the singing & lyrics:

I thought the singing was pretty good, especially in 577. And have you realized there are some changes in who actually sings what? In Bielefeld Snah sang “Kill some day” and he also did “Cornucopia” both in Bielefeld and Köln. Also, yesterday in “Greener” Snah sang: “All over 39” instead of “26”… Hahaha, well the guys get older, too!

in reply to: Favourite album poll (again) #14022
              Great King Rat
              Participant

I’m with most people here, nothing beats the nineties!

1. Timmy

2. Trustus

3. Angels&Demons

4. Blissard

5. Demonbox

6. LTEC

7. Barracuda

8. COTF

9. LLM

10. Phanerothyme

11. ITF

12. BH/BC

13. Soothe

14. Lobo

15. IALC

in reply to: Hamburg Nov. 3, 2009 #14152
                Great King Rat
                Participant

Yeah, sungravy! But what’s “alcoholist”?

in reply to: Berlin 01.11.2009 #14253
                  Great King Rat
                  Participant

How did you perceive the band’s mood? A friend of mine said they didn’t seem too enthusiastic and not really focused. Before the encore, Bent apparently said that Lars (the keyboard player from the mid-nineties shows) died that day! That’s bad news, and it would explain the guys not being quite themselves…

in reply to: Berlin 01.11.09: Sound #14232
                    Great King Rat
                    Participant

I wasn’t there last night but I can imagine what you’re talking about. A friend of mine said the same about yesterday, and I’ve attended MP shows that were way too loud. Nowadays I try to stand in the back or upstairs if possible. Ear plugs do a good job, too…

in reply to: OT: 50 Albums of the Decade #13861
                      Great King Rat
                      Participant

Ok, here’s my list. Contains a few classics of course but also some stuff not mentioned yet. Interesting to see what people listen to besides MP nowadays…

01. … Trail of dead – Source, tags & codes

02. … Trail of dead – Worlds apart

03. At the drive-in – Relationship of command

04. Badly Drawn Boy – The hour of bewilderbeast

05. Beirut – Gulag Orkestar

06. Belasco – Something between us

07. Belle & Sebastian – Push barman to open old wounds

08. Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy – Master and Everyone

09. Bright Eyes – Lifted or the story’s…

10. Calexico – Feast of wire

11. dEUS – The ideal crash (actually it’s from ’99 but to me it belongs to this decade)

12. Deftones – White pony

13. Devin Townsend – Physicist

14. Eels – Souljacker

15. Elbow – Asleep in the back

16. Elbow – Cast of thousands

17. Elbow – Leaders of the free world

18. Elbow – The seldom seen kid (SUCH a fantastic band!)

19. The flaming lips – Yoshimi battles the pink robots

20. Franz Ferdinand – dito

21. Friska Viljor – Bravo!

22. Gossip – Standing in the way of control

23. Herman Dune – Giant

24. Iron and wine – Our endless numbered days

25. Jay-Jay Johanson – Whiskey

26. Karate – Unsolved

27. Kings of Leon – Youth and young manhood

28. Modest Mouse – Moon and Antarctica

29. Modest Mouse – Good news for people who love bad news

30. Mogwai – Rock action

31. Motorpsycho – LTEC

32. Motorpsycho – Phanerothyme

33. Muse – Absolution

34. The National – Boxer

35. N.E.R.D. – In search of…

36. The Notwist – Neon Golden

37. Phoenix – United

38. Portugal. The Man – Waiter: “You vultures!”

39. QOTSA – Rated R

40. Radiohead – Kid A

41. Radiohead – Hail to the thief

42. Röyksopp – Melody A.M.

43. Sigur Ros – ()

44. The soundtrack of our lives – Behind the music

45. The Strokes – Is this it

46. Super 700 – Lovebites

47. System of a down – Toxicity

48. Ween – White Pepper

49. Weezer – The green album

50. Wilco – Yankee hotel foxtrot

in reply to: Song of the month, october: Walking on the Water #13730
                        Great King Rat
                        Participant

Excellent call again, Traktor! Great song and live a feast!

To me it’s about Jesus or Bent’s relationship with him, and I understand it in a very straight-forward way, almost too obvious: he’s very disappointed with him because he let him down. He hoped to find sth in Jesus, or faith, which he didn’t.

Yet, I’d like to believe it’s meant this way because there are other instances of Bent’s very personal and direct way of approachig this topic. There’s My best friend, as Jadi mentioned, which warmly and longingly looks back at a time where their relationship was intact. And there’s of course Kill some day which imo leaves one with a short but vivid impression of Bent’s constant consideration and reflection on this topic. Of course he adresses God in Kil some day and not Jesus, but I guess that doesn’t matter, it’s the same family… Btw, maybe in those days things were still fine with Jesus because Bent seems to be in doubt with God but rather feel compassionate for Jesus… Oh, we’ll never know!

in reply to: Child of the Future Lyrics #13536
                          Great King Rat
                          Participant

Nice info, Traktor! For those Germans out there: cornucopia = Füllhorn!

in reply to: Song of the month, september: Plan #1 #13660
                            Great King Rat
                            Participant

Great choice, TraktorBass! I’m completely with you here, what a song! Quite happy with the previous songs of the month, too. You picked the classics. Except for No Evil though, which doesn’t do it for me. I’m much more into the stuff they released in the ’90s, pretty much everything from the pre-cake-era is far better than the later stuff. But that’s just my insignificant personal opinion, although I believe there are a few others who share it… :-)

As for the lyrics – I’m not a big fan of intensive interpreting, although I can see the fun of it. Yet, for me it’s kinda futile because you’ll never know for sure what the author had in mind. Therefore, I prefer to leave the cryptic passages alone and let them hover, oscillate, and change. Concerning the raped-girl-reading: that goes a bit far, I reckon. Bent’s words seem to indicate some sort of action on the girl’s side (“you gave it all away”, “you put too much slack…”) rather than depicting her as a victim. Matt’s words on the other hand could be understood in the way mentioned above…

One more thing I’d like to point out about the song… I don’t have any musical background whatsoever so I’m not sure if I’ll use the right expressions… Anyway: during the first verse the music’s quite low/quiet/slow and just when Bent hits the first line of the chorus (“You’re just like meeeeee”) the music erupts. However, the second verse is longer so when the musical part of the verse (again quiet) has actually finished, Bent hasn’t finished the words: the music erupts with “… conception of liiiiiife” and the “You’re just like me”-part is sort of attached. When listening to it, I always get the impression as if Bent cramed too many words into this verse…. Hm, don’t know if this makes any sense to you… It’s just an observation… Btw, I really love this part. It somehow adds a touch of urgency to the song…

in reply to: Child of the Future Lyrics #13518
                              Great King Rat
                              Participant

Welcome Wulf, and good work on ozzylot! I agree with GBD’s changes except for “my time was due”, I guess it’s “good”. But then, still no headphones here…

GBD: Excellent! Great thing to come up with! :MPD: Never heard of the swan song before, thanks for that! So, obviously that’s what they’re enchanted by!

I had one try at Diana, didn’t get more than three words in a row, and left it frustrated half way through. What you’ve got sounds good! Can’t help you with the blanks… yet.

And we still need The waiting Game and the second stanza of Riding the tiger!

Come on, people!

in reply to: Child of the Future Lyrics #13513
                                Great King Rat
                                Participant

@GBD: Cool! I’m quite happy with your changes. “Grinding” is so much cooler (and more likely) than just “riding” and “Seems like lifetime’s spent” is better than my version, too, both grammatically and meaning-wise! :D

But what does “seephing” mean? Never heard of that one before…

I know my “walz”-approach wasn’t the most logic one, but what’s “swan song”? A reference to sth? I’m actually quite convinced that the initial sound of the word is rather “w” than “s”… Edit: Ha! Just listening to it, and i think it depends if the article is “the” or “this”! Consider the sounds: -the-s-wa- (n for swan and l for walz sound very similar, so we can ignore it here) If the s belongs to the article it would be “this”, in which case the next word starts with “w”, that would make it “this walz” (probably). However, if the article is “the” the next word has to start with s, and that would make it “the swan”! Fantastic! Thing is: we’ll never know unless they tell us…

Gonna have to listen closely to the end again, some of your parts are right I guess, others could be right but could also be wrong. It’s really hard to tell with this one ’cause of the escalating singing in the end.

@otherdemon: I think the lead singer doesn’t always give a hint towards authorship, take fx Greener which is written by Bent and sung by Snah. I was actually talking about their writing stiles, too. So absolutely agreed! :cheers:

Great work again GBD! Just a few samll changes from me:

“Soul shaker shake that soul”

(…)

“And show us your moves”

I’d go for “grow” instead of “dope”, sounds more like gr in the beginning.

I’ve got no alternative for “reprize” but I don’t think it’s that either. That’s not very constructive, I know, but it just sounds a lot like e in the end, sth like “free”. But then the first syllable clearly seems to be re… No idea.

And how about “… provide (the/that/our/us/my) soul and fire…” right from the first chorus on?

Concerning the end: that’s about as far as I got. Looks like we need more opinions… C’mon, Nauts!

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 234 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994