cloudhawker

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2024 #42649
    cloudhawker
    Participant

Hi there Chris! Welcome to Norway, either way you’re in for a great time! MP has hinted they will play a ‘crowd pleasing’ set based on their singles at all Norwegian summer sets so it probably doesn’t matter that much in terms of MP experience. I agree with you that Bukta has slightly better acts than Malakoff – but if you’re into jazz go to Molde obviously. I guess it depends on what else you want to see and do while in Norway. Tromsø has got the midnight sun, and both Molde and particularly Malakoff take you to Western Norway with its spectacular mountains and fjords (but plenty of that around Tromsø as well). Molde and Malakoff are also closest to Trondheim if you want to drive there for some Motorpsycho-hometown-vibes (it’s a beautiful city anyway). Anyways, have fun!

• This reply was modified 6 days, 19 hours ago by cloudhawker.
      in reply to: Ole Paus & Motorpsycho Gud bevare landsbyen min #42462
      cloudhawker
      Participant

The Norwegian readers will probably know, but Ole Paus sadly passed away last night.

Some of you might have given their 2020 collaboration Så nær, så nær (So Close, So Close) a spin or two, with both MP at their most Allmann Brothers/Crazy Horsesque and Paus in good form, in what turned out to be his last album, and a quite good one too.

Even better was their concert at Operaen in Oslo (and why not chechk this out from Olavsfest in Nidarosdomen in Trondheim: Mitt lille land & Ruinbyen Ole Paus and MP at Olavsfest ). I also spotted Paus in the audience at Rockefeller in September, I suppose it was quite a lot of mutual admiration and friendship between Paus and MP, across generations and different musical backgrounds.

A true national treasure and a genuinely good guy, RIP Ole Paus

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by cloudhawker.
        in reply to: Motorpsycho live 2023 #41437
        cloudhawker
        Participant

To anyone in the Bergen and Vestland area on this forum: I would definitely recommend running to get one of those tickets left if you haven’t already got one. I went to one of the early iterations of this at Dansens hus in Oslo and was treated to what was then known as Ny lang and Ny halvlang (Chariot and Mona Lisa/Azrael) as well as the entire NOX suite. Quite somthing! Now without Thomas of course but I am sure they’ll pull off something unique with Tos instead. Go kjenn din besøkelsestid!

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #41038
          cloudhawker
          Participant

Thanks Blashyrkh, I see India is added to the list, great! Who saw that coming? Quick question: Do you still want us to use the contact info at the bottom of the mpdb site for suggestions and corrections, or shall we just post it here? The email doesn’t seem to work (any more).

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by cloudhawker.
            in reply to: New Music #41009
            cloudhawker
            Participant

As an apropos to Torstein Lofthus’ name being thrown around on this forum and that as a worthy possible new MP drummer, I went to see Red Kite at Victoria Nasjonale Jazzscene in Oslo yesterday. He is one hell of a drummer. They labeled it “psychedelic rumble-jazz” (“psykedelisk buldre-jazz”), which I guess is about as fitting as it gets when it comes to genre description. Guitarist Even Helte Hermansen, bass player Trond Frønes and the others are known from a ton of other good bands such as Bushman’s Revenge, The Shining and Sunswitch. I have a feeling some of you might enjoy this

Red Kite: Apophenian Bliss

in reply to: Death Defying Unicorn Book #40856
              cloudhawker
              Participant

@mefisto: haha, fair enough. Let’s agree to disagree then.

in reply to: Asker kulturhus 10.12.22 #40852
                cloudhawker
                Participant

@spacebandit: Reine was there. Probably just a bit low in the mix, but he had some trademark tasty solos in addition to adding flavour and nuances throughout.

My god, they are so insanely tight these days, they were rocking soooo hard, very very fun. I’ve said it before, but that Thomas fella, oh my lord (the smile on Bent’s face during the drum solo in You Lied was worth the ticket alone). And Bent screaming like it was 1992 on Home of the Brave, who would’ve belive it! I found the sound generally clear throughout, the layers and interplay in Chariot, Gullible, Year 0 and Mona Lisa was exquisite. Highlights for me: Gullible’s (first time – what a monster live!), Year zero, Mona Lisa, and Home of the Brave, Überpilgrim and the encores were just good clean fun on a Saturday evening.

in reply to: Death Defying Unicorn Book #40848
                  cloudhawker
                  Participant

I asked the publisher Falck forlag about a possible English version/translation. Sounded like it might very well be a possibility further down the line, but one thing at the time. I guess they have to fund & write the Norwegian original first…!

@Mefisto
                    : Hopefully the book will be as good as the album.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by cloudhawker.
                    in reply to: New Gebhardt album #40623
                    cloudhawker
                    Participant

A lot to like about this, I enjoy it a lot. Strong melodies, catchy, whimsical, characteristically gebhardtesque all over as you would expect. I got fairly strong Tom Waits vibes on a number of songs. That’s a compliment.

in reply to: Ancient Astronauts #40136
                      cloudhawker
                      Participant

@marc: don't know the track list, but there's at least one 'lang' (long) and one 'halvlang' (half long)!

in reply to: Ancient Astronauts #40132
                        cloudhawker
                        Participant

@Krist Rampage the bio mentions a multi-year film project with teatre troupe De utvalgte aiming to document the MP experience, starting last summer, rather sparse on detail though so who knows. Could be the film they talk about.

in reply to: Personal MP Concert Statistics #40038
                          cloudhawker
                          Participant

190 shows! 8O Fekkin hell. That is… a lot. That is well over 15% of all MP gigs ever played. Respect.

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #36736
                            cloudhawker
                            Participant

Regarding Tussler or not. In my humble opinion I think it could be included. The nucleus of the Tussler band is (was) MP in its entirety, they played numerous of their own songs. Comparable perhaps more to the In the Fishtank project, wich always has been considered a part of MP, than to any of the numerous other side projects of various members.

in reply to: Motorpsycho DB #36718
                              cloudhawker
                              Participant

In addition to Sandnes 18.01.22 the 4 gigs at Dansens Hus in Oslo the 27. to 30.05.21 may also have slipped through…? They contained the same songs as Sandnes

https://www.dansenshus.com/forestillinger/sacrificing

in reply to: 21.04.22.Oslo #39711
                                cloudhawker
                                Participant

@The Other Anders: As I am only able to attend this one show it is not really a problem for me personally if Plan#1 & Fool's Gold are finishing off several shows, but I see your point! Judging from the variety in the setlists so far on this tour, I don't imagine this to be the case though. But if it happens? It's a pretty strong finish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

…hanging on to the trip you're on since 1994